Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Automotive
HELP!!! Drive shaft >

HELP!!! Drive shaft

Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

HELP!!! Drive shaft

Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default HELP!!! Drive shaft

Hi guy's,I have a major problem.Got a 1990 Ford F-250 long bed .My rear drive shaft took a dump on me.Need one bad.The loop( for lack of a better word) on the shaft it's self that holds the U-joint cap busted.Am going to try to weld it but am not sure if I can trust that or not .Had a high HP chevy that used to blow the little ears on the rear end yoke that held the caps bought several then figured out I could weld more ears on them and grind them down.worked fine don't know about the shaft it's self.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be able to buy replacement U-bolts at any auto parts store. You are talking about the U-bolts that hold the u-joint caps in the rear axle flange correct?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mast LOL,I wish.It is the loops on the drive shaft itself.The one you have to put the circlip in to hold the U-joint .I hope I can maybe heat it bent it back in to shape ,weld it and use a burr bit to reshape.Maybe I can find an old shaft at the junk yard and weld the entire yoke on the diff end of the shaft..Hopefully I can find a used shaft ,But they are getting hard to come by.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Swampdog View Post
Mast LOL,I wish.It is the loops on the drive shaft itself.The one you have to put the circlip in to hold the U-joint .I hope I can maybe heat it bent it back in to shape ,weld it and use a burr bit to reshape.Maybe I can find an old shaft at the junk yard and weld the entire yoke on the diff end of the shaft..Hopefully I can find a used shaft ,But they are getting hard to come by.

"Loops" I think your talking about the accual Yoke that is welded on the end of the tube. It is repairable. take the shaft into a repair shop that does driveline. There are alot of them, you'll just have to check in your area for names and locations. They will cut the yoke off, and install a new one, weld, and balanace it. Usually it's around a $100. I've done them this way many a time.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks mast .Got a super place about an hour away 'Stone heavy equipment" they specialize in heavy duty drivelines for boggers and high HP rigs.Was trying got get by without going but if I take it to them I wont have to worry about it anymore.Just break the next weakest link.....LOL Used to keep the cheapest u-joints in my built chevy ,could "POP" a u-joint at will .