Community
Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

2WD solutions

Old 08-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2WD solutions

I have a 2WD truck and I often get stuck in mud. I usually just jam some sticks/branches under the tires, but it takes time and patience. Does anyone know of any other tips/tricks when stuck in the mud with a 2WD?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2WD solutions

A buddy with a 4 wheel drive and a yank-em strap.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:49 AM

How about a bull bar and a winch, similar to a setup on a ATV? Ido not have firsthand experience but Iimagine it would get the job done as long as you were nearbigtrees. Cost could be prohibitive.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:04 PM

it more than likely has an open differential. When you are stuck, does only one wheel spin? If so, talk to a local mechanic about putting in a posi differential. A posi is a set up that when it senses the 1 wheel spinning, it will apply torque to the other wheel and therefore both wills will start moving and help you get unstuck. Tire chains always help out to, but on a pegleg rearend " 1 wheel only turning" chains wouldnt be much help.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM

I'd second Frontier Gander's solution. Others that will do the same thing is a no-slip or lock-rite locker. The other thing that you need to look at is tires. Having the right tires will make a huge difference. You didn't say what truck or tires you have, or how often you're in mud, but my recommendation would be for Goodyear MTR's or BFG MT's if you're in mud a lot. When driving in mud, you don't need to barrel through it real fast and spin your tires either. Your best bet is to just keep the truck rolling and let the tires do their job.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 PM

RiverOtter, has a point on that one...But with the tire selection, the MTR's are a very heavy and big tire...Weight not being that much of an issue unless you have a little motor which usually means weaker tranny...The smallest size they come in are 235/75/r15 and thats still a 29.1 inch tire...youre truck may could clear it, same goes for the BFG...although very good tires...I have had both on my 98 z71 in 305/75/r 16 size, not quite right for a 2wd...I would say get a Smaller BFG AllTerrain or another all terrain, they're offered in smaller sizes and are also cheaper...but its your choice.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: NC_DeerDropper

RiverOtter, has a point on that one...But with the tire selection, the MTR's are a very heavy and big tire...Weight not being that much of an issue unless you have a little motor which usually means weaker tranny...The smallest size they come in are 235/75/r15 and thats still a 29.1 inch tire...youre truck may could clear it, same goes for the BFG...although very good tires...I have had both on my 98 z71 in 305/75/r 16 size, not quite right for a 2wd...I would say get a Smaller BFG AllTerrain or another all terrain, they're offered in smaller sizes and are also cheaper...but its your choice.
Good points on the weight, but that's why I asked what vehicle he was driving. I have a V6 4wd Tacoma, but any of the Tacoma prerunner 2wd trucks (same suspension as 4x4) can clear the same tires. Stock it comes with 31x10.5R15 tires (the guy that had it before me put 30x9.5R15's on which I still have), and this is a fairly small truck compared to most out there. I would think he shouldn't have a problem finding a tire that can tuck in there. My next tire will be a BFG A/T, but although noisier on the road the MTR's or M/T's are what you really want if you're dealing with a lot of mud. The A/T's work well, but they do have their limitations, and in a 2wd truck he may need all the traction he can get.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: RiverOtter

Good points on the weight, but that's why I asked what vehicle he was driving. I have a V6 4wd Tacoma, but any of the Tacoma prerunner 2wd trucks (same suspension as 4x4) can clear the same tires. Stock it comes with 31x10.5R15 tires (the guy that had it before me put 30x9.5R15's on which I still have), and this is a fairly small truck compared to most out there. I would think he shouldn't have a problem finding a tire that can tuck in there. My next tire will be a BFG A/T, but although noisier on the road the MTR's or M/T's are what you really want if you're dealing with a lot of mud. The A/T's work well, but they do have their limitations, and in a 2wd truck he may need all the traction he can get.
Yea thats true...i wasnt tryin to show you up or anything...haha..but all i can say is find a few you like..then find the one outta the bunch that you like best...kinda like findin a new bow ina way.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always used to have 2wd trucks and always the first thing I did was buy a 4wd front hook set and install it on the 2 wd so that just in case I had to get someone pull me out all we had to do was hook into the hooks. I once got stuck and had to be pulled out and tore off my front plastic strip under the front bumper.. so I fixed that problem with the hooks.....
Old 09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i would definately get some hooks on the front. you may also look at getting a come along. that's what i got for my truck. you may also want to put some weight in the back. one of the 2 times i've gotten stuck was because the back wheels didn't have any pressure on them. this if just as important as getting good tires. my truck is 2-wheel drive also and all of these things have helped me. also you may try some roofing shingles. i've heard that those can help if you get them under the wheels. just some things to consider.

Quick Reply: 2WD solutions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.