Community
Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

motor oil

Old 04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: motor oil

As far as switching to a synthetic oil, it will not hurt the engine by no means. But say you have 150,000 miles on the engine or 5,000 it will not cause nothing but if you have an oil leak, even it it only drips once per day, the synthetic will make the leak worse as the particles in the oil break up. So no there will be no problem caused but it will bring up existing that you didn't know about. Hope that helps.
Brandon
exactly! some people believe synthetic oils cause oil leaks. wrong! it only shows more of existing leaks. you just couldnt tell they were there from the conventional oil gumming up the leak. i would change first after 1500 miles instead of 3000 then after that at 3000 intervals. it may not be necessary but i think the snythetics break up a lot of the gummed up chit in your engine so i believe its best to get it out quickly.

Owning a parts store i here my fair share but for the record all oils are going to be synthetic or semi-synthetic eventually. the ones that wont will be the house brands, they will keep a non syntec. the best thing is to put in a qt of lucas oil stabalizer with every oil change for example if your vehicle takes 5qts put in 4 and 1 of the lucas. and lucas is so good that when you change your oil the next time you can still feel the lucas in the oil it will not break down.
wrong. do you really think your 5$$ oil stabilizer additive is going to help your oil??? if it really does what it claims then manufactures would put it in the oil to begin with. your cheap additive isnt going to do chit. they spend millions of $$$$ in researching this stuff. they put in there what is the best for what they believe.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Mobil 1 technology has been selected as original equipment by leading car builders such as, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Dodge Viper, and Dodge Ram SRT 10.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Mobil 1 is also the only group IV synthetic oil , castrol and all the rest are group III.

bassicly it means is made out of a higher quality base stock..

Sythetic 5-30 is in NO WAY any thinnner or thicker then 5-30 dino oil... dino oil degrades alot faster and alot of the additives in the oil + the grade of the oil is pretty much gone at 3000 miles. Synthetic has the ability to hold the grade longer over harsher conditions and over a longer mileage frame.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like its Mobil1 from here on out.Thanks guys for the info,very much appreciated
Old 05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

just FYI i have 111,000 miles on my 99 Z71. always had valvoline regular oil in it for its entire life. switched to mobil1 a week and a half ago and no problems yet.