HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Automotive (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/automotive-60/)
-   -   DIESEL VS GAS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/automotive/113037-diesel-vs-gas.html)

BIG TUNA 09-16-2005 06:44 AM

DIESEL VS GAS

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON SPENDING EXTRA FOR THE GMC 2500HD DEISEL, OR A REGULAR 1500 WITH A 305 V8 TO PULL THE OCCASIONALL BOAT AND TRAILER. KEEP IN MIND I DO DRIVE A LOT. PLUS THIS MAY BE A SERVICE VEHICLE WHICH DOES A LOT OF STOP AND GO. I DO AT LEAST 90KM PER YEAR ON MY VEHICLES. 20 GRAND IS RIDING ON THIS QUESTION.

Little Yellowjacket 09-16-2005 03:02 PM

RE: DIESEL VS GAS

I would go with the diesel, better towing capacity, and better mileage. If you do go with diesel, make sure you get the 4x4, because they will get stuck on wet grass with that big engine.

Little Yellowjacket 09-16-2005 03:04 PM

If it were me I would get the dodge with the cummins turbo diesel in it, thats the best midsize truck diesel they make. That's a fact!!!!

lou-lou 09-18-2005 09:44 PM

As a auto dealer I have had many classes on this topic since gas has weny up. My advice is that Dodge has the best motor, but the worst tranny, Ford has good looks and a powerful motor 6.0 , much better that the old 7.3, tranny is middle of the road. Chevy now has a 6.6 duramax which is supposed to get better mileage than gas but in reality it only gets a few miles more. Pre- 2003 duramax's have way better mileage than there newer brothers. All motors will kill you at the oil change. 50 plus buck for a oil change. Chevy has better resale value and the best tranny. The allison tranny is tough to beat. Right now if I had to choose, it would be a Ford F-250 middle of the road on all aspects. You can wait until next year and get a Dodge , Cummins turbo diesel 6cyl with the Allison tranny. Yup! it's going to happen. Can't wait until that beast comes out.... Right now the best truck you can buy is diesel powered, they are cheaper than they will ever be right now.

Little Yellowjacket 09-19-2005 07:29 PM

Ours is The 24V with a jake brake ( we haul alot of horses), 5 on the floor with granny gear, and it has a dayna 80 tranny in it, which I like better than the allison.
Just my two cents though.

Little Yellowjacket 09-24-2005 10:07 AM

So did you ever find or buy the truck?:)

OFTK

BIG TUNA 09-24-2005 06:06 PM

I WON'T BE GETTING THE TRUCK TILL APRIL. OVER IN AUSTRALIA WORKING TEMPORARILY TILL THEN ( KANGAROO HUNTING IS TOO EASY, CHIPMUNKS ARE A BIGGER CHALLANGE ). I'M DOING MY SHOPPING NOW SO I CAN HAVE A NEW VEHICLE IN THE DRIVEWAY AS SOON AS I GET HOME. I REALLY APPRECIATE BEING TOLD OF THE CUMMINGS IN-LINE SIX. I'M GIVING IT SERIOUS THOUIGHT EVENTHOUGH I COME FROM A GM TOWN.

DuckNdeer 09-25-2005 08:31 AM

I'm a FORD man!
Gotme a 2004 F-250 4x4 6.0 diesel extended cab long bed. Banks Power computer and exhaust and some bald tires.;)

DuckNdeer 09-25-2005 08:33 AM

here's the best truck ever!

Little Yellowjacket 09-25-2005 02:17 PM

I'm a Dodge man!!!

Get the dodge with the cummins 24v. The dayna 80 is the best way to go.

ptee6 09-25-2005 08:39 PM

Own a 2005 Duramax and put a chip in it and when im traveling on interstates I get 22 an 19.5 on highway. Trailer I get 15 always

JeepinHunter 09-26-2005 08:51 AM

i'm not tryin to be picky here but i would like to clarify a few things. the "jake brake" that "out for the kill" speaks of on his dodge is much diferent than the jake brake on semis that you may hear goin down the road.they operate very differently. he ,in fact, has an "exhaust brake".very different in function.also there is no such thing as a "dayna 80" transmission. thefive speed that dodge puts behind their cummins motor is called an NV4500.and yesit is far superior to the 47re(auto) that they have. however i know many guys that toast the clutches on those things aswell. the "dayna 80" the he talked about is actually the rear axle. the DANA-SPICER corporation has supplied axles to many manufacturers and the axle that the dodge has is one of their biggest light truck axles. it is the DANA 80. my Grandpa has as 05 duramax with the allison. we love that thing. i am a member of rocky top trail riders and we make several trips throughout the year. we all have different makes and models. there are two dodges with the cummins, one of them is modified pretty well. a couple of powerstrokes and only one duramax. thats my grandpas.*(he is kind enough to let me borrow it) and when we tow our rigs to the trails, the duramax outpulls all the rest of them. the dodges certainly have the torque but the tranny just cant hang. the ford have the same problem. but the allison doesn't even break a sweat. also in "acceleration tests" among us, the duramax outperforms all of them. sorry this was so long but as you may be able to tell, i love trucks. but not as much as my jeep.

Little Yellowjacket 09-26-2005 06:21 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. I meant to say the dana 80 was the rear axle.

Little Yellowjacket 09-26-2005 06:28 PM

I don't know about the other guys on your "trail riders", but my truck has never lagged while hauling a 36' 4 horse trailer loaded with a massive 18 hand 1200 lb Canadian Warmblood. I have 3 others, mares, one 16 hands, one 17 hands, and another 17.3. It lasted on a trip from a small town just right over the Mexican border in Texas, to Cherokee Co. Alabama. I love my truck!

My opinion is go with the Dodge.
Just my two cents though.

Deleted User 09-26-2005 06:37 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Georgetownboys 10-14-2005 12:55 PM

Dodge all the way. . .and yep I had a tranny go out on my first dodge after only 75K, $2200 later it was nice. Now on my second Dodge 3500 HO Cumins I went back to a standard tranny. It's bullet proof and I manage to pull off 18.2 MPG on average for a 25 mile cummute each day, this is with some highway some stop and go and a few miles of city streets.

Fish N Chicks 10-14-2005 07:03 PM

go with the duramax man, We have one and wouldnt trade it for anything...we'll smoke any dodge or ford out there :O

Little Yellowjacket 10-17-2005 05:51 PM

I would like to see that fish.

love2bowhunt2 10-27-2005 08:06 AM

go with the durmax me and my dad have 1 and we wouldnt trade them for nothing i got a edge computer chip in mind and so does he and we never have no problems with them the cummins doesnt have nothing on the durmax and ford is ok butt the tranny isnt no count i would go for the dumax

durmax is the way to go

Little Yellowjacket 10-30-2005 05:03 PM

Cummins has nothing on duramax??? Yea, sure. The cummins, caterpillar, and detroit diesels are the original diesel engines. So no, my friend I think you are mistaken. Duramax has nothing on cummins.

love2bowhunt2 10-31-2005 08:06 AM

out for the kill sorry butt the cummins doesnt have nothing on that durmax we already proved that at myrtle beach south carlina when i hooked up to a cummins he didnt want no more or the ford... dodge is got the crappest transmission ever made and the chevy got the allison transmisson and nobody ever complains about the chevy butt u always here someone complaing about the dodge tranny

Little Yellowjacket 10-31-2005 06:20 PM

Look, rich boy. You have put your truck against ONEdodge truck. you haven't put it up agianst mine, or anyone elses on here, so until then, why won't you just shutup about your wonderful duramax that has to be chipped to do the job.
thank you,
oftk

JeepinHunter 10-31-2005 09:58 PM

ok, first of all, out for the kill, do you even know who builds the duramax??? as far as them being the "original diesels", whatever. but if thats what you believe then i wouldn't be bragging too much. most of the cummins motor was originally designed in the early 60's to power big a$$ irrigation pumps. that mean there is some really old technology in that motor. which means they dont run near as efficiently as the newer, cleaner, high tech diesels. the duramax is just a more advanced motor. it runs cleaner, smoother and it is a whole hell of a lot quieter.as far as needing to be chipped to get the job done, yeah right. ours is bone stock and it out pulls 1 chipped ford, 1 dodge with a chip and serious intake ducting work, and of course various other dodges and fords. oh, isnt yours chipped out for the kill??

love2bowhunt2 11-01-2005 09:11 AM

out for the kill i sorry to tell u butt that piece of **** cummins doesnt not have nothing on that durmax.... u might as well get over it what ever u do to that truck u wont never out pull the durmax like someone else sayed they just picked up a 4 wheeler magizine and reading about the durmax with 365 hp. and 650lbs torgue and a 6 speed allison transmisson does that cummins come from the factory like that hell naw if u wont that cummins to pull anything u better do soemthing to it... that cummins will never be better... then the durmax

longrifle1000 11-01-2005 12:48 PM

I owned 2 Dodge ram's with the cummins. My advice, dodge the Dodge. The first one went through 3 trannys in 75,000 miles. Ok, maybe a fluke. Bought my next one with the manual. I had NOTHING but problems with that truck. Had to replace the clutch twice, whole front brake assembly after 20,000 miles, complete ring job at 60,000 miles, and a ton of little piddly things that chapped my hide.Then I purchased a Ford Super duty with the V10. Good truck, horrible on gas. Now I own a Chevy Avalanche for family use, and a 2500HD with Duramax with the allison for my farm truck. This thing is great. And,it hasa lot more power than the Cummins could ever dream of, and doesn't sound like it is going to fall apart going down the road. That is one thing I always hated about the Cummins, theysound like junk. Good luck to you in your decision.

Little Yellowjacket 11-01-2005 04:39 PM

Look, I don't want to start anything on this site. You can go with your "cleaner, more efficient" duramax's. Yes, my truck is chipped now, but not when I was haulin' 4 massive horses from a little town in Texas near the border.

Little Yellowjacket 11-01-2005 04:39 PM

Oh yea, "You do your thing, I'll do mine."

longrifle1000 11-01-2005 05:21 PM

Look, I don't want to start anything on this site. You can go with your "cleaner, more efficient" duramax's. Yes, my truck is chipped now, but not when I was haulin' 4 massive horses from a little town in Texas near the border.
Yes you do. You have been goading people for three pages now.

And, FYI, I was not talking to you, but rather the person who started this thread.

I'm sure your truck handled admirably on your haul from a little town in Texas. I hauled lots of stuff with my Cummins. But, my Duramax does a much better job of it. I have also put 59,000 miles on the Duramax, and have not had to have one thing worked on. I can't say that about either of the Dodge products. I leaarned that MOPAR really means, I need MOPARTS to fix this da** truck.

bdbwtie101 11-01-2005 07:49 PM

well since this is already a heated debate i thought i would throw in my two cents. I was raised around deisels, went to a deisel tech school and work on deisels for a living. But i think you guys or missing the piont. He asked if it was worth spending the extra money for a deisel, not what truck is gonna drag everyones elses truck around. And for that matter, hooking a tow strap to eachother and going at says ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING about who has more power. many things come into play here like, driving skill, tires, gear ratios, WEIGHT, so it is a very poor example of whos truck has more power. Anyways back to the question, the type of truck or make depends more on what he is going to use it for. He said that he does alot of driving and occasionally pulling. Why by the biggest powerhouse in the world to drive around in and occasionally pull? How long is he gonna own the truck, 300,000 miles? If he is looking for a motor that is gonna last half a million miles, go with the cummins, the straight six is unbeatalbe in reliability and longevity, why does every semitruck use a straight six? If its just a truck that is gonna be for personal use and not looking to own it for ever then by a duramax. Your gonna be in the truck alot putting on that many miles. Your gonna wanna be comfortable. Ford seat are very unfortable, there interior is plane and hasnt changed much in years. and the solid axle and stiff suspension is gonna beat the hell out of you for a personal driver. The 6.0 is very new and yet to prove its self. Dodges suspension and straight axle is gonna ride the same. The cummins has proved itself for making good power and longevity as well as good fuel mileage. Yes there automatics suck. Chevy has the most comfortable seats and interiors, ride by far the most quietest and the smoothest due to the independent front suspension. And there mileage is really good to. And the allison is by far the king of all automatics right know. So if your gonna beat the hell out of this truck go with a dodge and the manual trans. If your gonna drive it more than anything get the Durmax. As far as Deisel better than gas. Its all a personal preference.

JeepinHunter 11-01-2005 09:00 PM

badbowtie, i couldn't have said it any better. nuff said. thanks for that reply man.

love2bowhunt2 11-02-2005 09:09 AM

heres my truck a the beach

Little Yellowjacket 11-02-2005 05:01 PM

nice truck.... one question....why did you edit it w/paint and erase some stuff?

love2bowhunt2 11-04-2005 07:54 AM

i was jsut playing with the picture on paint . i had boggers but i changed them to bfgs mudd terrains . its a beauty

Fish N Chicks 11-05-2005 02:17 PM

I like the fancy stuff... But original is always good too ;o

Fish N Chicks 11-05-2005 02:21 PM

pwrsrtk350 11-06-2005 06:04 PM

My '96 Powerstroke has 170,000 miles on it and runs like new. In my opinion you can't beat Ford. Our shop truck is a '96 Dodge with the Cummins and mine seems to have more get up and go power with a gooseneck trailer hooked up to it. Here is my truck hooked up to our horse trailer.
http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/stroken96/images/100_0274.JPG