HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Automotive (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/automotive-60/)
-   -   Whats Your Favorite Ride (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/automotive/102231-whats-your-favorite-ride.html)

extreme1 06-06-2005 11:18 AM

Whats Your Favorite Ride

The wife and I are in the process of buying a new truck.We are looking to buy something a couple years old in the $20,000 and lower range.
It has to be a 4x4,ext cab,full size.Will be towing boats and trailers with it along with the daily fishing and hunting.So it needs to be off-road worthy.
I am looking for something in a half-ton as it will be a daily driver as well.
We looked at the big 3(chevy,ford,and dodge)and have a very good idea on what will be purchased.
We really like the 99 and up chevys.Have ample room in the back seat,compaired to fords.Should be lots of room for the kids and gear.I am just wondering about the push button 4x4? My 89 chev 4x4 has the 4 wheel hi-lo lever on floor and seems to be bullet proof.
I like the dodge for its solid front axle----and other thoughts on this?
I like the 3/4 tons for the drive and clearance,but as already said it will be a daily driver as well and with gas staying around 85 cents a litre,well,need I say more.
O.K everyone----whats your favorite ride and why?

K2SOCO 06-06-2005 02:03 PM

RE: Whats Your Favorite Ride

I hate the push button 4 wheel drive systems, as well as just the lever on the floor. I swear by manual lock out hubs. I have had many problems with auto lockers on both Fords and Chevys. Lock out hubs are easier to maintain and far more reliable. And I think a straight axle is better as well. Personaly I am a Ford man but that is all about vehicles history with me. Fords seem to do better in FL. Good luck in whatever you purchase!!!

Angus74 06-06-2005 07:56 PM

I dont think you can beat a ford F250 superduty. It has a straight axle in the fromt, with lock out hubs, and the trusted old shifter in the floor for your four wheel drive, a completely bulletproof setup. As for gas milage, I own an 03 f250 with a 5.4 and a 6 speed manual tranny, with 33 inch tires on it. I am getting 19 mpg out of it on the highway, and can still tow my 16 foot trailer with my Jeep on it right down the interstate with no trouble at all. No it dont have the power of a powerstroke or the v-10 but they dont get the gas milage either, and it is still almost 300 horsepower. Good luck on your decision.

manboy 06-06-2005 08:55 PM

all i will say is ,if u ask that ? on any forum u will need knee high boots because it gets DEEP!" i own a 03 250 with 33" mudders and get 19mpg"

as for the push button 4x4, they work great! u do need to relise it is the same as a 90-94 chevy on the floor! it is just electronic shift, they went to the button after other makes did! but the floor and button work the same on those chevy's....just look under the truck and u will see the wire!;)

drive as many as u can, and then buy the dodge dakota quad cab hemi, and smile as u pass those power house super duty 1 ton duellys :D= less wt and more power=faster better fuel econo!;)

TeeJay 06-06-2005 09:12 PM

Im a chevy guy through and through......but my next truck is going to be a F-150 Quad cab i hate to say it but its true

Angus74 06-07-2005 10:57 AM

manboy.. Nothing deep here, the truck really does get that gas mileage, you can come check it yourself. It has 3.73 gears, and the 33s raised the gear ratio a little bit more, so out on the highway it does get really good gas mileage, I dont claim to get that mileage while towing or around town, but Ive checked it a number of times and was surprised to find out myself but its true. In town and towing it drops to about 15, but still not bad for a fullsize truck with a v-8. It is also a standard cab truck with a 6 speed, more factors to help gas mileage, along with K&N filter and Flowmasters. So no,, nothing "deep" here.

rick_reno 06-07-2005 11:23 AM

I've got a 2000 F250 4X4 crewcab with the V10 engine. It's been rock solid.

Terasec 06-07-2005 12:34 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: manboy

all i will say is ,if u ask that ? on any forum u will need knee high boots because it gets DEEP!" i own a 03 250 with 33" mudders and get 19mpg"

--------
19mpg does seem high for a V8 F250
have a 6 cyl jeep cherokee sport
and that only gets 11-15mpg

Angus74 06-07-2005 07:22 PM

Yeah Ive got a 92 wrangler with a 4 cylinder in it and it only gets 12,, thats why it surprised me so much, I had the Jeep to drive back and forth to work, but now that Ive got this truck, It gets better mileage, so I drive it to work.

uncle matt 06-08-2005 10:21 AM

Yes, drive as many as you can. Definately not just one or two of each. As for fuel mileage, the single biggest factor in YOUR OWN PERSONAL MILEAGE is...........YOUR OWN PERSONAL FOOT.

A great thing about buying a few years used is that you find them with many aftermarket add-ons installed already and the value of the add-ons really doesn't affect the price. Things like running boards, push bars, bumpers, bedliners, tonoe covers, lights, etc.....

Uncle Matt (in IL)