Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

For Team 11

Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default For Team 11

Today was opening day in Georgia. I got in the woods around 5:30 a.m., really no idea where to go, just walked in where I heard a bird a couple weeks ago. At 6:50 a.m. he gobbled about 250 or 300 yards away. Some people say don't call while he's on the roost, but I do, but very softly.

Every other time he gobbled, I called, starting soft, and louder as he got louder. I changed type of calls everyother time he gobbled. I knew when he flew down by the sound of his gobble. I actually thought he was going away from me but he was making sort a half moon arc around me. I had my mouth call in, but didn't use it till I was ready to make the shot. When I finally saw him, I laid all my calls down except the mouth call, and when he got close enough and when he went behind a tree I got my gun up. When he steped out from behind the tree I made a soft cluck with the mouth call, his head went up and the rest is history, he never made a flop.

I must say, when I got home with him I weighed and measure everything 4 times. Weight-23 lbs, beard 11 3/4 inches, R. Spur-1 1/4in., Left spur-1 3/8 in. I must add, the tape measurement pic. of the beard is misleading, when I started measuring his beard it was 11 3/4 inches but it started falling out, guess from pullying on it and the beard actually appears a little shorter. Regardless, I'm proud of him.

I emailed the photos and measurements to JW! and he usually post them for me because I am computer stupid. So JW!, even though we are on different teams this year, will you please not hold that against me and post my pics and score.
Thanks,
dog1
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Nice work dog1 looks like you definitely raided the roost on that one. I guess JW was right you are a killer. Don't kill all them Georgia birds save a couple for me .