Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 6  ~ Zero Dark Turkey >

Team 6 ~ Zero Dark Turkey

The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 6 ~ Zero Dark Turkey

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see a five bearded bird show up for our team. Would be cool, tho. Way to go on the jake, jmedenf!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

The season here has been weird this year. Very few toms anywhere, and seeing turkeys in places I normally don't see them, and none in their usual places. Then I go after some this morning, a nice tom with a long beard walks by me with a jake strutting behind him. Why is the jake the one strutting? Anyways, I shot the jake. I was just glad for turkeys to come by. I was getting tired of the two bucks stand in front of me this morning licking my jake decoy (I lost my hen decoy last week).
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Got my turkey!it was a jake I shot it Saturda, but it looked like it had a double beard and wanted to be sure before I posted....but it didn't the beard just kinda split.
its a pretty interesting story, I'll post the story later though.

17 lbs
4 1/2 " beard
1/4" spurs

here's the reason I thought it was double bearded

Last edited by thelukai1100; 05-17-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default pics

Pictures of my bird I got the other day.
Attached Thumbnails Team 6  ~ Zero Dark Turkey-gedc0398s.jpg   Team 6  ~ Zero Dark Turkey-gedc0400s.jpg   Team 6  ~ Zero Dark Turkey-gedc0401s.jpg   Team 6  ~ Zero Dark Turkey-gedc0402s.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

Heres the story
*disclaimer* please excuse the punctuation errors, its 3:30 I just woke up and have never been good at that kind of stuff hope you enjoy anyways

It was friday may 10th, I go out to blow my owl call a few times (I do this every few nights), I here a gobble at a posted field that I have permission to hunt. And at the "strip lot" (a house lot where they pretty much clear cut) and I think nothing of the gobble at the strip lot, because I've roosted that turkey and hunted it on 4 different occasions.

the next day,saturday may 11th.
I woke up late at 4:30 got ready and headed to the field at 5:00.
as I apraoch the field I hear a gobble about 100 yards away. I rush to get the decoys set up, As i set up the decoys I hear a gobble just in the driveway of the abandoned house (100 yards from my blind).
I rush back to the blind, start calling, and I'll be damned if I didn't hear 9 different turkeys gobble in the matter of 10 seconds.
But the turkey in the driveway didn't gobble once after I put the decoys up. I'd say It saw me setting up the decoys.

I'm sitting in the blind Thinking of what to do with 9 turkeys in every direction and only 45 more minutes to hunt, I see a flash of black to my left. I look up and see a porcupine 10 yards to my left, still making its way towards me. I put my gun on it at about 5 yards away,it noticed me and continued to run towards me, at about 2 yards I shot it.

Now I'm thinking I just scared every bird that was gobbling back at me, I hear a few gobbles coming from the Strip lot 200 yards away.
So i figured it cant hurt to scare a few more birds.
I make my way pretty nonchalantly through the field towards the strip lot. I hit the woods about 100 yards away from the strip lot.
I sneak up to the rock wall 50 yards from where I though they were gobbling from. they gobble again I hear at least 3 gobbles from about 80 yards away. At this point I'm getting pretty pumped because I can tell they are IN the lot, not in the woods 20 yards out of the lot where they always are.

I cross the rock wall head up the little hill between me and the birds, It seemed they were gobbling every time I would step on a twig or do something slightly loud. so I did a few clucks to make them Think I was just another hen. as I clear the hill I see about 7 turkeys, I don't know what to do at this point. 6 of them are in a group, couldn't tell what they were because they were sorta walking away from me, But I know there was at least 2 toms in the group, because at the beggining of the season I roasted them every 2-3 nights and they never seemed to move.

I see the Jake all by his self with his tiny little beard poking out. I put my bead on his head and squeeze one off, the Jake kinda goes on alert mode and picks his head up more, and I put another one into him. the second shot nailed him at 50 yards with Remington nitro turkeys #4's. I walk down and I hear all kinds of noises, from clucking, to gobbling, to the sort of cackle pheasant make when they get flushed.
as I get closer to my kill I see a what I think is a male turkey from behind (judging by the bright head), I put me bead on it and it started clucking so I didn't shoot, as it runs away i see the 9" + beard. but I was excited about my Jake. I keep getting closer and at about 10 yards the Jake picks its head up and starts freaking out.
I have never seen a turkey do this, it wasn't the normal nerves causing this, the thing was Half ALIVE. I put my bead on it and pull the trigger *click*. I throw a shell in there and finish it off.
now it does the classic nerve caused wing flap.

So even if I would of got greedy and shot at the tom I would have been empty anyways.

The Jake weighed 17 pounds (not sure how accurate the scale was)
the beard was 4.5" and the spurs were 1/4"

I already posted pictures but I'll throw one in for kicks and giggles.

Last edited by thelukai1100; 05-17-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

put a pretty good bird down this morning. 22 lbs, 11'' beard, 1.25'' spurs. sorry and pics to follow.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I planned to hang it up and call it a season. I toted my bow for much of the season. During that time, I had I believe 22 bearded turkeys within 35 yards, But no such luck with the bow. I thought it would be s slam dunk with my gun, but between switching jobs and a little girl, I didn't get out a whole lot with my gun. So anyways, like I mentioned before, today is the last day of the Iowa season and because of some yard work I wanted to get done. I didn't plan to go. Last night however, I heard a bird gobble in the roost behind my house. I got the call out from the deck and he responded to everything I threw at him, so I thought I would give it a shot in the morning. This morning I snuck up the hill to within 60 yards. I had him all worked up in the roost and he came in on a string.

Here are his stats and pic for our captain. 22.0 lbs. Beard was 11'' long. Both spurs were 1.25''. Total score is 69.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zubba
Well, I planned to hang it up and call it a season. I toted my bow for much of the season. During that time, I had I believe 22 bearded turkeys within 35 yards, But no such luck with the bow. I thought it would be s slam dunk with my gun, but between switching jobs and a little girl, I didn't get out a whole lot with my gun. So anyways, like I mentioned before, today is the last day of the Iowa season and because of some yard work I wanted to get done. I didn't plan to go. Last night however, I heard a bird gobble in the roost behind my house. I got the call out from the deck and he responded to everything I threw at him, so I thought I would give it a shot in the morning. This morning I snuck up the hill to within 60 yards. I had him all worked up in the roost and he came in on a string.

Here are his stats and pic for our captain. 22.0 lbs. Beard was 11'' long. Both spurs were 1.25''. Total score is 69.

Nice Bird
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats guys...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know i'm not officially on the team still, but here are a couple of my birds from this year... just figured I'd share.. can't get the other to upload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.