Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 6  ~ Zero Dark Turkey >

Team 6 ~ Zero Dark Turkey

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 6 ~ Zero Dark Turkey

Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Headed back out for the rest of the weekend... I'll check in tomorrow night.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys, couldn't seal the deal today. Started out finding 3 gobbling on the roost, one behind me and two in front. It was pretty thick where I set-up. I thought the two in front got a little closer after fly-down but then silence. After convincing myself they were nowhere near me anymore, decided to move. Did a bit of blind calling, then walking around trying to strike up a conversation. I hit the crystal while I was in the hardwoods approaching a field. Had one gobble! I put down my gun and quickly set-up my hen decoy. Of course, when I went to pick up my gun and get set up I couldn't find it Ok, find the gun then there really aren't any big trees but I figured I'd better get set-up anyway. Hit the call again and he was hot. He was further than I thought, so I had time to set-up better but figured I better stay put. He kept his distance so I toned it down. He circled around a bit to my right but then he came in on a string, gobbling all the way. I saw him in the field gobbling and running towards me. When he hit the woods, he didn't move towards the decoy, he was a little to my right. He went further to my right, I needed him to go left. He must have not liked when I tried to coax him with the mouth call, he just went behind me and kept going, gobbling all the way. When he first left the field he was in range, but it wasn't a very good shot and I hoped he'd get into better position for me. Oh well, he was sporting a pretty decent beard, maybe I'll run into him again in a couple of days.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

The gobbler i shot in thursday had 2 buddies with him...think if i setup near the same spot they will come back in tomorow?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

should still hold pattern I'd think or be close
Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

That is what I did rushed the shot because things were going down hill and my second and third rounds were at him in mid flight and man a big bird like that can move lol!
Originally Posted by thelukai1100
I missed a big tom at 30 yards through brush, I shouldn't have shot but We had spooked it so I knew ether take a crack at him or lose him anyways. I have no clue why he stopped at mid run but I figured it was my opportunity. with the adrenaline pumping I got greedy and paid for it.
But they are gobbling everywhere, just can't seem to trick them into range.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

hoping to get back out sunday. if not...monday is my day off so ill be out there from sun up til noon!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, our season in Tennessee ends on Sunday. Weather is going to be nasty today and tomorrow, and with church and mother's day activities on Sunday, it looks like my season is over. Sorry I was not able to put a gobbler on the ground. Was probably the most frustrating season I have experienced.

I was, however, able to kill a bearded hen yesterday...first time I have ever done that. I'll try to get the pics posted later. Good luck to those of you still hunting!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, meant to mention that she weighed 15.4 pounds. Beard was 6 3/4"...no spurs, obviously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.