Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 6  ~ Zero Dark Turkey >

Team 6 ~ Zero Dark Turkey

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 6 ~ Zero Dark Turkey

Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

How many can you take, we can take two bearded birds. If it has a beard it is getting it then the second one I am little more picky but not much lol.
I am not judging but they all taste the same
Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

In CT you can take 3 bearded birds but you have to get either private land or public land tags. In RI its one bearded bird. Last year I ran into a bunch of bearded hens in CT. I didn't kill any because I didn't want to shoot a hen even though any bearded bird is legal.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Teebugg
Good deal. I may get one from ya for my fiance. Got any pink lol
I actually do! Called the Strobe.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out this morning on some heavily hunted public land (my favorite kind of hunting to do). A buddy and I waded far beyond where most folks here would venture, and we got on a jake and a good gobbler. Could have taken the jake at one point, but the longbeard was still hanging out fairly close. Obviously, since there are no pictures here, it didn't pan out. Will be back at it in the morning, tho!

That's a kind gesture, firelt72! I may be interested...what is your personal favorite of your calls? If I was to get one, I'd certainly want what you think is best. My go to call at the moment, and has been for a few seasons now, is a Rocky Top Game Calls crystal over slate. I rarely use the slate side...a bit hard to with the smallish opening on the bottom side. Great sounding call, tho! Thanks for your input!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Man yall talkin about being out already! Making me jealous! Ps....i will take a jake but normally hold out for a gobbler. Although they all taste the same.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, got permission to hunt a little 60 acre plot behind my house where I've been seeing some strutters. This isn't my main property, which is about a 45 minute drive. This is where I will go if I just have an hour or two...because I can walk from the house. Less than 2 weeks to go. Good luck to everyone chasing birds.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out again this morning and got on birds on the roost. Had two gobblers coming to me at about 6:30...gobbling their heads off. Then, of course, two other hunters tried to come in from behind them, and they busted off...the joys of public land hunting. I was surprised to see them that far into the management area. I got up, and they started apologizing over and over for bumping the birds. While I was upset that they got bumped, at least the guys weren't jerks about it. At about 8:00 I watched a longbeard fight off a couple jakes that had hens with them. They then moved to the middle of a huge field, and wouldn't budge. That was the first time I had ever witnessed a scuffle first hand! Planning to set up on the edge of that field in the morning...been seeing lots of sign there, but had other, more remote places that I wanted to try first. Fun stuff!

Sorry some of you guys aren't being able to hunt yet...I suppose you will just have to settle on living vicariously through those of us that are.

Last edited by Bible_Man; 04-05-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eric,

I said in a post yesterday that my go to call was crystal over slate, but it is actually glass over slate.

Anyway...what is your favorite combination? What do you think sounds/actually works the best. I will likely buy one from you. I'd like to stay close to the starting price of $35, but more importantly want what you think is best. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Im living thru yall right now. Its 25 and snowing here...welcome to upstate ny!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
Eric,

I said in a post yesterday that my go to call was crystal over slate, but it is actually glass over slate.

Anyway...what is your favorite combination? What do you think sounds/actually works the best. I will likely buy one from you. I'd like to stay close to the starting price of $35, but more importantly want what you think is best. Thanks for the input.

Since you are a seasoned hunter I like the sound of crystal or glass over glass the best; It has a real good rasp to it. My second favorite is Slate over glass in a 3" and in walnut or lam. I can do a slate over glass/slate and glass or crystal over glass/slate single sided for $35.
I currently have some nice laminates available right now- colored maroon, tan and charcoal. I have a maple oak and walnut lam, and I have a box elder and maybe a usable piece of dogwood. I LOVE MY DOGWOOD STRIKERS.

I like slate for a guy/gal new to the game they seem more forgiving. My personal fav is a copper over glass but with the cost of copper drives the cost up some ($50ish) . Ceramic is also another expensive part to the call.

Thanks BM for asking and be safe there in TN that is my favorite state that is not Indiana!

Last edited by firelt72; 04-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.