Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 5 ~ Hang em High >

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet deal pins! You are the man!!! Anymore details on a story or was it that fast?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Congrats Pinsapex!!!!!!!! Awsome bird! I come up with 63.3. Good score, nice job! I'll get him entered
Notta this mornin. No gobbles, shortly after daybreak heard 2 hens fly down cackle, then not a sound and never seen em, they got outta that feild quick. Startin to look like someone else is hunting in that area. Think that spot is done. I'll try the new spot again in the morning. The one tom is a regular in their front feild so depending on how many more times i can get out........maybe! Wonderin since he didn't want anything to do with my calls last nite if its not maybe the one i shot at. Not a big fan of the decoys usually, but wonder if i should stick em out there and not call at all. Might try that in the morn.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to you Pinsapex! It is great to hear of another bird down and out for the team! I hope I can find one as big. Congrats again!

Yes John, in just a couple more days I will surely be hitting those turkey grounds! For some reason Monday does not appear to be getting here fast enough..

Ok j76 this video I got from another site shows how some birds can react to a few decoys.. This guy shot a jake and watch what happens.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ3Qg...1&feature=plcp
I find sort of crazy the way that big tom comes in.. Good Luck not matter what you try! I hope you get to nail one of those long beards.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Come on Mottz we know you can do it as well as any of us can.. Good Luck on busting a cap on one!

They have not updated the rankings in a while.
No they have not as of yet anyways.. JW had stated that he couldn't do it while he was traveling on another post. I am thinking team 1 is starting to pull away from us now. But, who knows! I am thinking we will be catching up to them. Then watch us smile while we blow by them.. LOL It is still all in fun anyways so enjoy it..
Old 04-27-2013, 03:45 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Wish the birds around here were as dumb as the ones in that video!! I will say i feel a bit better about my calling now, man that guy sounded bad!
Think pry my biggest problem with decoys is the fact that all i have is cheap ones. The higher end ones do a better job i imagine. I've just been burt wayy to many times with dekes. They always hang up on em. The olny time they really work for me is when i have them in a spot where the bird doesn't see them till he's pretty much in range. Then they do a nice job of directing his attention away from me.
But for now anyways, i have way too many hobbies to spend money on to justify the 80-100 bucks apiece for the good ones.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the lower end ones that I bought on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods. They have worked ok for me. They just look at them and some times come in and sometimes they do not work all that great. It depends if the tom is with hens already sometimes. But I have had them come to them just the same. A guy was telling me before any turkey decoys had come that a friend of his made an ugly one. An old foam goose decoy he had stuck turkey feathers in. The turkeys still came to it none the less. Any ways good luck to you j76..
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You dont need expensive decoys j. I bought a pretty boy when it come out and I have better luck with an old standing hen. Alot of guys around here just carry a fan attached to a stake. When they spot the birds they put it in the ground and they come in. Its a turkeys mood as to what they do.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Well i'm gonna try somethin thats pry gonna be a bad idea in the morn but just for grins i'm gonna do it. I have a homade strutter jake(cheap jake deke with a fan i mounted on it) and 2 hens, and i'm throwin all 3 of em out. Pry won't work but would love to have him hit that feild and see it to see how he reacts. He's a big boy and is rarely seen with hens, wonder what he'll think of that jake with a couple ladies.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Spike

Congrats Pinsapex on your nice tom! 22+ lbs wow!
My season opens wed, but having to be at work at 6 am, I won't be able to get out until sat.
Goodluck and happy hunting!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a little more I set up that morning on a field edge I usually hunt. Heard a few different birds gobbling on the roost and knew they would make it my way eventually. About an hour after daylight I had 3 jakes and a long beard working there way in to my set. Then when I pulled the strings to rotate my b-mobile turkey decoy it tipped back somehow and the gobbler spooked and went over the bank. So I crawled out and fixed it and went back to my blind. Then about 945 the bird that was gobbling in front of me on the ridge was working his way to me so I looked all around my blind and closed off all the windows I could and blacked out the blind as much as I could leaving a window open pointing toward the bird they was on its way. Then it was only a minute or two the bird I shot came in silent from somewhere I don't know and all I heard was him spitting as he walked by my blind to my b- mobile decoy giving it a good smack then started strutting behind it and I made a little call he stretched out his neck then did the death roll from the blast from my browning citori over and under. So it happened pretty quick so didn't have much time to analyze everything. Now it's time to break out the Mathews and see if I can stick another one with a bow. Well good luck team and hope to be trying to up my current bird!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.