Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 5 ~ Hang em High >

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Hey all just checking in been pretty busy planting some new apple trees and getting food plots ready to plant but season starts Monday and pumped to get out there. Good luck team!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Good to hear from you pinsapex7, good luck on your hunts. Are you hunting private land? Done any scouting, got a few birds located?

Phil, Mottz and j76 do not let the pressure of getting a bird not make it fun. I know I feel the pressure of wanting to get a bird for the team.

The contest is to give us a chance to meet new people, share our stories and tactics and make it FUN.

I know you guys will hunt hard and do your best, BUT take time to enjoy it. Have some fun. I am waiting to hear your stories.

Who else is hunting and how is it going?

John
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Banned

hey Pinsapex7, where are you located in ohio?

new gun got here yesterday. TC Encore. put scope on it and plan to fire a few after bit. hope i can get a good pattern out of it as i really want to use it this year.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Phil, Mottz and j76 do not let the pressure of getting a bird not make it fun. I know I feel the pressure of wanting to get a bird for the team.

The contest is to give us a chance to meet new people, share our stories and tactics and make it FUN.

I know you guys will hunt hard and do your best, BUT take time to enjoy it. Have some fun. I am waiting to hear your stories.
Thanks John.. I know you are right and I am planning on enjoying my hunting trips out to those wild turkey lands. I am planning on setting up my blind on the 28th so I will not need to carry it in to my hunting ground. I do have a few places in mind where there are some decent toms away from the main dirt road.

Pinasex7 it is good to hear from you and I hope when you get out there hunting you get to enjoy your trips as well. Good Luck on nailing a tom..
Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure John, from the guy who has taken down 2 birds already Don't worry about me having fun out there. If I'm not seein the birds, I focus on my cams, look at my pics and then say "damn, why aint I out there when these turkeys come around". Just getting out of the house is good. And I like the team participation. Winning the count of replies and views is fun to watch also.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM
j76
Typical Buck

You guys pry ain't heard me say it in a while, but crappy weather!! Wind rain and even a bit of snow. So no scouting today, but did make a couple hour drive south to the big boy candy store today! A huge fishing store with all kinds a goodies. Managed to pick up the rest of the gear i need to go after some trout and salmon on the great lakes. Quick as that tom takes a dirt nap the fish are in trouble!
Gonna be some early mornings the next few days, sat. and sun. gonna be out there befor daybreak to hear some gobblin and hopefull get em figured out. Dad will be up late Sun. morn and we will get a popup set and ready for Monday.
So far looks like for sure at least 1 tom roosting in there. My only concern is the last 2 visits to the area i've spotted an eagle hangin around the farm. Think he will bother the birds? Hopefully not and hopefully theres a second one hangin in there to so Monday morning by 7 a.m. we will have 2 floppin!
I'll let ya guys know what i see in the morning, weather is still gonna suck, but they should still be there doin their thing.
Good luck guys!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

My only concern is the last 2 visits to the area i've spotted an eagle hangin around the farm. Think he will bother the birds? Hopefully not and hopefully theres a second one hangin in there to so Monday morning by 7 a.m. we will have 2 floppin!
I see eagles pretty regularly where I travel threw to go hunting as well as Redtail Hawks and the like. The turkeys are still there. No doubt they maybe a bit nervous with them flying around. A farm I travel to, to get natural raised beef by the side has a pile of turkeys going into his grain silos. At the same time his field has a lot of eagles setting in the trees waiting for some discarded waste to eat. Perhaps it is because the eagle are eating something else it does not bother the turkeys?? I am not sure but the owner shoots a couple of turkeys almost every week during the winter months in order to keep them from making droppings in his grain.. They are allowed to legally shoot the turkeys under these conditions.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Phil, that is why the eagles are there. The landowner is a butcher and throws scraps out back there. So hopefully you are right, and that keeps the peace between them.
Well this morning was a big fat waste of time! Can't beleive i got out of bed for that. 30 mph wind, 18 deg windchill and snow flurries! Needless to say, i didn't hear or see anything. They were'nt there and i don't blame em! I didn't want to be there either.I did'nt hang around long, but i'm sure if something was around i woulda seen it. Tomorrow morning is still supposed to be pretty cold, but the wind looks like it's gonna die tonite. Hopefully things will be a bit more promising in the a.m.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

lol Mottz. It is easier to say after I killed a bird. But I did have to remind myself thru out the season, when It is was not looking so good.
2 seasons ago I did not get a bird, and it bothered me the whole year until next season and made me try even harder.

I hope the weather gets better for you guys.

Get that blind in a good spot and blended in well Phil. I know you guys are gonna have some stories for us soon.

Be safe, John
Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a feeling they were still in the area.. They do not respond well on a windy day and tend to stay in the low areas where the wind will not bother them much. While I do not know what your area is like. here they tend to stay in the woods down behind a low area from a ledge or steep incline. They still keep breeding and will be right back in the openings when the wind stops.

Here my season is looking up right now. We had a warm rain last night and the green stuff is starting to break the ground now. The turkeys have been at it here now for almost 3 weeks. To me that means when my season opens up in 9 more days the toms should be starting to wander looking for more hens. The grass and clover will be getting up in decent shape by then and the excitement will commence.

For as far as my blind goes.. I feel I have an excellent location for it. It is about a 1/4 mile from the dirt road and has excellent areas for cover. The poles from the power line will give a good flat spot for the turkeys to gather and normally clover grows around the base of them. I am now getting the itch as more birds start showing up. I must remember though that my best time for the turkeys up here is around 10am. So I will need to wait them out..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.