Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 3* ~ Turkey Dynasty >

Team 3* ~ Turkey Dynasty

The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 3* ~ Turkey Dynasty

Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to all the guys that have put some Tom's down already. They are some pretty nice looking birds. I finally got out and did some scouting in the wind and rain this morning. I didn't see any birds but I fond a pretty good location to set up for opening day Monday morning. Good luck to you all.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
Congrats to all the guys that have put some Tom's down already. They are some pretty nice looking birds. I finally got out and did some scouting in the wind and rain this morning. I didn't see any birds but I fond a pretty good location to set up for opening day Monday morning. Good luck to you all.
Good luck to ya for Monday. Whack a nice one.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I killed this morning. Dont know measurements until I get home. 2 year old tom though

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

They were gobling every behind me this morning but they never came my direction and I think I know the reasoning. At about 6 this morning I look to the north of me and standing 20 yards away is a bobcat. First one I have ever seen here in Iowa while I was out hunting. Then shortly after he left and coyote came from the other direction.

I did have one nice bird come in but I hadn't realized he was right there until he was already headed through the fence. He came from my blind spot.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by monsterbucks2011
I killed this morning. Dont know measurements until I get home. 2 year old tom though

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Good job monster bucks. Looking forward to some pics.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time pope94. Sounds like your really on em. Good luck
Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

OK my back is a lot better today so I loaded the jeep and am headed out the door 3 AM to start my season. This tag is for my Illinois public land property. I ended up missing only the first day of my 6 day tag. Would rather hunt weekdays anyway.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey boys - I am home for the night but leave late tomorrow to start. 1st hunt I am going in blind. No scouting cuz just no time to do it. But I have hunted this place 4 yrs running now so have a good idea where to let blind luck take me.
I spent all last week scouting northern WI and Upper Mich. Snow - snow, and more snow. The birds are flocked heavily but some are strutting. A few toms are breaking off now and the lesbian flocks are getting fewer in numbers as they are also breaking up. But it is cold!

One fun thing. I was working all day Friday as I had planned an early morning listen but waking up to snow-rain-sleet-high winds I said screw it and went back to bed. I am beat. So worked all day on the house - putzy things - but at 4 Pm I laid down for a nap - at 4:30 PM I was rudely woken up by someone tapping at my back glass patio door. I had just washed the dang thing too. Mumbling to myself as I stumbled half awake to the door and as I come around the corner and hit the first step and what do I see????? One big ole flipping Tom all in strutt just pecking away at the glass and at his dang reflections!!!! He has at least a 11 inch full bodied beard - he has at least 1 inch spurs and his body size filled the whole width of the glass patio door......WOW!!! One of my dogs sees the tom and starts to bark! I immediately hushed her and hand motioned for her to lay down with a hand signal......I rushed to get my camera as no one would beleive this! And the second dog beat me to the door! I forgot about that dog....dang it....and bark-bark as she slams the glass and putt-putt as the Tom runs for dear life! The glass is a mess again.....glad it ain't broke!
So I think to myself - poach the SOB! And I amost did.....but then if I did that I'd be leaving my ethics in the truck.
I do put out one strutting tom Decoy with a real Jake fan in.....and within an hr I watched this decoy get destroyed! I did have the crosshairs on him - at 10 yards too! But could not pull the tirgger. I can't hunt this area till May 8th - maybe he will be around.
Tried to get sme footage of that brute today. Set up a blind to where he was meeting his hens and his hens came but he never showed......I did get some footage of hens and a red fox though. The way I look at it he flew down and went in strut following some skirt again to which she lead him in a new direction. That is what they are doing in the upper Midwest. Strutting and not vocal at all as breeding has not begun as of yet!
So good luck boys.....see ya in a month or so.....Oh I will travel with a lap top but mainly to do scores - if I have time and if I can stay awake.....it will be done tho....

Dave...JW
Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Geez - am tired and forgot - hey Congratulations to the boys who scored! Way to go men.

JW
Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Spike

thanks sounds awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.