Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 3* ~ Turkey Dynasty >

Team 3* ~ Turkey Dynasty

The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 3* ~ Turkey Dynasty

Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!!!!! I wonder how the standings look?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I had to endure a 200 yard run through Hamburger Hill swamp switchgrass on an abandoned tractor trail saturated with ravenouus mosquitos to get to and from my secluded field. Shed a lot of blood for the Dynasty Team. But somebody has to do it.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job Zim. Congrats
Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Spike

Well today is the last day for me and I doubt I will make it out. Got on a few last week but they were all hens so no dice for me.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well boys as I drag back in here......wow what a season - shot 5 birds however I have no better than the first I recorded......learned a ton from the birds this year......and decoys.......I never was a DSD fan but am a convert now!

If you can afford them you will not find anything better even if it is a mounted bird as a decoy. I saw things that these will do that I never even thought possible......and I have crappy video to prove it.....

So now I will be spending a few days to put the equipement away.....flat wore out 2 box calls......broke one box and cracked my crystal pot......broke a blind....logged a ton of walking time......up at 2 AM out by 3 AM and did that for over 6 weeks the last 3 everyday rain or shine........lost 19 lbs too and that is a good thing.

So off to back rading and gathering all the kills from Team Dynasty.......thanks for your patience......and I will be writing a few of my stories and posting a few of the pics and maybe a video or two as I have that also.....
think the neatest thing about my DSD flock........I had 5 really nice toms who I coaxed in after I coaxed two hens first to which came in all in strut 5 abreast and then proceeded to kick the snot out of my DSD Jake no more than 8 to 10 yards from where my daughter and I sat.......she got hers......I blew it and put another hole in the dirt for the second time with this kid of mine.......man 26 yrs of hunting these birds and I know I just needed to wait to which I did not do.....I got too dang excited yet again.....
Hers was 23 lbs 4 oz and every one of that front line looked all the same........certainly would ahve been an upgrade for me.....
Geez...dang dummy I am..

But I will be busy getting this contest done.....

Dave
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Spike

Good job to all who got some turkeys! I was not able to connect and I never even heard a single gobble all season long! I think the wacky weather we have been having here kept them up high and moving way earlier. Oh well, doubt I will be able to do much turkey hunting in oregon as I have heard they pretty much stick to private out there.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great season Dave. We started using the DSD hen a few years ago and really like them....so do the real birds.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Who knows. Considering I let the air out of one of my Zink Avians with a stray follow-up shot, maybe I'll replace it with a DSD next year?

I am getting really sick of 80 yard hung up gobblers. Any suggestion? Maybe try the jake of bedded hen deal?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Spike

zim, i dont use decoys any more, its fun and everything to see them come strut in but what really works for me is calling to them and have them come in looking for me. i did that 3 different times this year but was waiting for a big gobbler so i didnt shoot the one i could of, also passed up a flock of jakes. its so fun also trying to play the "game" of gettting them to come in looking for u. i learned so much this year and am completely confident in my mouth call now. i called up several hens, its like having a conversation with them and learning what call to use and when not to use it. i learned hens will come right in with some soft calling, by imitating them, whatever u do, if u do it right back they come right in looking for u and standing 5 feet away walking circles around u. its so fun and thats why i love turkey hunting, also on the decoy note, if a strutter sees a hen he will want her to come to him, if theres no hen he sees he will come looking for her if u say the right things to him
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Here we are boys I need to get these in.

Team Number: 3
Hunters Name: JW
State the bird was harvested: WI
Date of Kill: 5/10/13
Time 10:32 AM
Method of Take shot gun
Species: Eastern
Sex: Male
Lbs 15 Oz: 7
Rt Spur Length ..5
Lft Spur length .375
No of Beards: 1
Length 6.2 in
Your score is 15.4375 + 5 + 3.75 + 12.4 = 36.5875

State the bird was harvested: MI
Date of Kill: 5/13/13
Time 11:21 AM
Method of Take shot gun
Lbs 18 Oz: 4
Rt Spur Length 1.125
Lft Spur length 1
Length 8 in
Your score is 18.25 + 9.375 + 10 + 16 = 53.985

Date of Kill: 5/19/13
Time 6:36 AM
Method of Take shot gun
Lbs 15 Oz: 11
Rt Spur Length .5
Lft Spur length .5
Length 7.5 in
Your score is 15.6875 + 5 + 5 + 15 = 40.6875

Hunters Name: Zim
Date of Kill: 5/5/13
Time: 12:15 PM
Method of Take: Shotgun
Sex: Hen
Lbs: 9 Oz: 2
Rt Spur Length: 0
Lft Spur length: 0
Length 2.25"
NWTF SCORE: Your score is 9.125 + 0 + 0 + 4.5 = 13.625

Hunters Name: Zim
Date of Kill: 5/20/13
Time: 3:00 PM
Method of Take: Shotgun
Lbs: 19 Oz: 0
Rt Spur Length: 1
Lft Spur length: 1
Length 9.5"
Your score is 19 + 10 + 10 + 19 = 58

JW

Ps...Zim I looked at your hen...boy would like to see the head a bit more and the legs.....we will leafve it as a hen...but I have never seen a hen tail fan like that which makes me believe it was a very young jake. But then the wt did not match....I don't know if young hens have longer center tail feathers like Jakes....good question to ask.....and then looking at the legs I think I see spurs and then I don't...

That is a good one and I will post a picture of the bearded hen I have mounted.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.