Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits

Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

DTC Jr Your score is 23.5 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 20.25 = 61.25
Old 04-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure are killing some big birds there jr......congrats again to you and your dad
Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Ok guys, on the road Ohio bound! Gonna drive all night and hunt as soon as we pull up! Wish me luck!! And good luck to all of you hunting this weekend!!!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

Great job DTC Jr.

I am hunting Friday wish me luck!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to let you guys down, but I was not able to put 1 down. We got out to the property on Friday to scout on the wind was nasty and cold. I set up in a place where I scored before on Saturday. Didn't see **** and only heard a couple birds early in the morning. Sunday was a different story. I had at least a dozen birds fly down with in 50 yards of my set up, heard at least 3 different toms sounding off all with in the first 15 minutes. I had hens running all over the place but no toms to be seen. The only real good thing that happened was our newbie getting his first bird, a nice 23 lb tom with a 9.5 inch beard and 7/8 inch spurs. He had him in the field at 100 yards strutting all the way til 30 when he put him down. We where really tring to get him his first and I put him on the spot., so congrats to him for keeping his cool and sealling the deal...good luck to all for I am done and will not be able to get back out due to some family things going on...
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully you will get one more in Buckmark,if we are gonna repeat it might make the difference in the end. But we understand that family comes first,thanks for giving it a good try. I went out for my first hunt today,saw 2 Toms moving away from another hunter stalking them with a bow. We got away from him and went to the other end of the valley,saw 1 hen but no Toms. Getting up at 5:00 and heading to private ground where we hope not to have anyone bust our hunt up this year. Say a prayer or wish me luck team mates,the long push starts in earnest tomarrow. I posted our youth hunt success on the Forum,I would be happy with either of the birds me and my buddy got two first time youth hunters.
Attached Thumbnails Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits-005-640x480-.jpg   Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits-020-640x480-.jpg  

Last edited by doetrain; 04-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Spike

You will get a big one down doetrain & Buckmark.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey boys, I've got a little contribution to make this year.....

I believe he's gonna score pretty well. Haven't taken measurements yet but the beard is close to 11 and his hooks are probably inch and a quarter.

Ill get the pics and details in once I get home.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I've got him all scored and cut up now. What a way to bust out of a slump! This was definitely top 2, possibly THE most exciting hunt I've ever been on. A buddy of mine who I haven't known too long recently invited me to hunt some property that he said was loaded with big turkeys. We were able to get together today and try it out, and man was he right. We got on 3 hot birds gobbling their giblets off at about 5:45, roosted in some big oaks on an SMZ between two cutovers. After hootin at em and trying to figure out which one was the most willing, we eased from the road down into the woods along the creek. After calling to em for about 5 minutes we flapped some wings with a fly down and got set up. They kept hammering hard after they flew down and at least one of them sounded 100% committed to come on in, and sounded really close....but he didn’t come on in right then. We had 2 birds gobbling back and forth at each other until they finally got together at the edge of the cutover and had moved away about 150 yds from us. Every time we would cut and yelp they both would sound off hard. After about 3 or 4 more minutes of the birds going away from us and gobbling farther off, we pushed on down the SMZ staying as low as we could. By the time we moved in about 50 yards from where they first got together, we heard them gobble about 100 yards apart. One of the birds had moved on a good ways down the cutover and into some pines, but the other one was at the end of a wooded point that jutted into the cutover. We kept checkin him about every 3 minutes and he kept on hammering back. By the time we got about 80 yards from the end of the point where he last gobbled, we eased on up to where we could see into the cutover and checked him again and he had moved across the cutover toward the pines where the other bird went. My buddy got out his gobbler fan and put it up in front of us and we crawled a little bit further up until we saw the bird strutting with a hen about 100 yds out. We showed the fan and let it shine in the sun, and as soon as he saw it he turned away from the hen and just about ran to us. He stopped a few times to strut and look, and every time we would call to him he'd stick that ol knobby head out and let it rip. After about 10 minutes of him skirting the woods at about 70 yards out, he finally decided to come on in to the fan and check it out. When he got to 20 yds it was all over. Put him down with the 870 and a 3" Nitro 4-5-7 blend through a pure gold choke. Most fun I've had in the woods in a lonnnnnng time!

Enough of the story, here's his measurements and pictures.

Weight = 18lbs exactly
Beard = 10.75"
Both Spurs = 1.25"

Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Nicccccceeeeee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.