Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits

Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Spike

Nice one arrowmaster!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 more for the Team effort,great job Arrowmaster & bald9eagle! I told you the next one was going down bald9eagle,was I right or what? I want to hear how the hunt went down,so get your story up OK. Glad you had success Captain this is the begining of a good run for you I'm sure. Guys I was off work yesterday to take care of some buisness in Owensboro KY. Before I left me and my hunting buddy did some scouting yesterday morning, If only it had been our opening day! We found 3 strutters dancing for the ladies in one of our best spots,and one of them was a beauty. At least 26lbs. 12" to 13" beard and spurs at least 1 1/2" a real Boss Tom! The other 2 kept their distance from him and when they even acted like they wanted his 2 hens he would shut them down. The youth season is Saturday morning and we both are taking a hunter to 2 different spots,this will be their first Turkey hunt. We will try to put them on the Big Boy and another nice one but much smaller bird across from were they live. If we don't get the big Boy Saturday we will get after him Wednesday,if he survives the weekend. Say a prayer for my youth hunters to get him,as bad as I would like to drop him I'm hoping one of the 2 nails him for their first bird. My blood got hot watching this guy strut for 15 minutes at 600 yards, he could be bigger but he is at least as discribed got a good look at him.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

It was a great hunt. I didn't hear anything on the roost. I had made up my mind to go to a completely different area several miles away. I made one last stop and hit the call. GOBBBBLLLBBBLLBBBBLLLEEE.

The rascal was down in a deep hole. There were 3-4 other birds just over the line that were doing their thing. I got really tight and could hear him drummingbut he wouldn't show. In the meanwhile one of the birds that had been over the line started responding. I slid down the hill a bit on the edge of a creek to get between the two. The first bird got henned up and shut his mouth.

The 2nd bird was still hitting good so I called a good bit louder even though I was under 100 from the 1st. I slipped out of the creek bottom and set up in the cutover. The cut stuff is more like skidder trails through small timber. I leaned against a small sapling that was leaned over facing the bird. Within minutes a hen walked up about 10 steps away. She started clucking hard and pulled him in the clear are 21 steps. BOOM! The old 870 with a new red dot scope and 3" Nitros did the trick.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
It was a great hunt. I didn't hear anything on the roost. I had made up my mind to go to a completely different area several miles away. I made one last stop and hit the call. GOBBBBLLLBBBLLBBBBLLLEEE.

The rascal was down in a deep hole. There were 3-4 other birds just over the line that were doing their thing. I got really tight and could hear him drummingbut he wouldn't show. In the meanwhile one of the birds that had been over the line started responding. I slid down the hill a bit on the edge of a creek to get between the two. The first bird got henned up and shut his mouth.

The 2nd bird was still hitting good so I called a good bit louder even though I was under 100 from the 1st. I slipped out of the creek bottom and set up in the cutover. The cut stuff is more like skidder trails through small timber. I leaned against a small sapling that was leaned over facing the bird. Within minutes a hen walked up about 10 steps away. She started clucking hard and pulled him in the clear are 21 steps. BOOM! The old 870 with a new red dot scope and 3" Nitros did the trick.
Sweet time Team Mate,I like the challenge of having to work for them and thinking stradegy to take em out just as you did. It feels good getting the monkey off your back thats for sure. You going after anymore? You guys get to take like 3 or more birbs don't ya? We get one in Indiana.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats arrow and bald9eagle...looks like the team is on a roll
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am off to the property on Fraiday for a Weekend hunt. With all the rain we had all week the birds should be itching to get back out in the fields. I can't wait to get out...Wish me luck...yah baby...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Put one on the ground BUCKMARK.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats the plan...and I think its a good one...LOL

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
Put one on the ground BUCKMARK.

Last edited by BUCKMARK; 04-18-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: misspelling...
Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Typical Buck

5 is the limit... and I should be there. Thursday to Sunday night/Monday morn I'm in DC with the family. Get to hit it again Monday morn.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted a total of 25 hours last Thursday and Friday and never saw a tom. Only heard 3-4 gobbles on Thursday and none on Friday. Crazy part was on Friday I was in the hens from probably 8:30 am until I quit before the thunderstorms at around 7 pm. There probably was not a 30 min period where I could not spy a hen through binoculars and my guess would be that I had hens in easy shotgun range for well over 2 hours, maybe longer. We'll see how things go. I might get in a short hunt the end of the week, then it's out of state for a few days of turkey hunting. Good luck team!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.