HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   The Archives (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/archives-70/)
-   -   Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/archives/377666-team-1-beard-bandits.html)

SouthernStrut56 03-16-2013 06:41 PM

Yeah these birds aint ready to play yet. First day we had one bird gobble twice on the roost about 600 yds off. Heard nothing more but a few hens fly down. We couldn't get an exact bead on the gobbler with just two gobbles so we decided to let him be until a later date when they're more riled up. Didn't see any in the fields.

Today I went to another spot with a buddy and heard nothing. Tomorrow I'm going back to the place we heard that gobbler yesterday. If he gobbles a few more times I'm moving in on him fast. I give em about a week or a little more and they'll be ready.....hopefully.

bald9eagle 03-17-2013 04:28 AM

The bird we hunted Friday morning gobbled a handful of times on the roost and hit the ground gobbling pretty good. The hens were really mouthy. It didn't take him long to clam up. He only got hot one time about an hour or so after he was on the ground then he shut up again.

They just aren't ready. Last year at this time they were tearing it up but the warm weather had a lot to do with that.

EFH 03-18-2013 03:50 AM

I hear ya! Yea last year they were gobbling way before season started... Looks like it's back to norm this year. Still have not heard a bird gobble yet. Got on the same group of jakes again sat. but still no signs of mr.longbeard. Took sun. off and got up to rain this morning so I'm at work now, saving that day for when they are talking more.

bald9eagle 03-18-2013 03:53 PM

I tried to swap my vacation to next week but it was a no-go. Spent the day making some turkey calls to catch up on a few orders. I'll be leaving out in the morning heading to Oakmulgee. Hopefully the rain and slightly cooler temps won't make it too bad. I have a feeling though that they still won't be doing much.

SouthernStrut56 03-18-2013 07:27 PM

I'm saving a few vacation days for the right time as well. I may be able to go try the national forest down here one morning this week, but we'll see. Doesn't sound like the birds are doing much anywhere in the state. A buddy of mine down in Grove Hill AL said they were talking a little bit this past weekend. Hopefully mine up at the land will start up next weekend or early April. Dogwoods ain't even blooming up where we are, which is normally a good sign of when they kick in high gear. We'll get it rolling soon.

turkman1 03-19-2013 02:16 AM

Welcome to are team TFH!!!

Turkman

doetrain 03-19-2013 06:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Traveling Fur Hunter (Post 4043221)
Checking in. We'll murder 'em right? First time turkey hunting. Wish me luck.
Boone

WELCOME to the Team TFH! Great to have you join some of the best Turkey Hunters around and great Team members as well.:wave: A few pictures to fire you up and let you know what we hope will be your harvest for the Team effort this year. Remember We Are The Champions and you my fellow Turkey Slayer will be one with us in our Repeat Championship! By the way this is my fourth Turkey season and you will be fine even though your a new hunter,I have called in and shot birds from the begining and it is a riot. Buddy up if you need to with a good caller or do both yourself,we can help you with anything you want to know.We have some great old hunters on our team who have loads of ability.Good Hunting to ya Team Mate.

bald9eagle 03-20-2013 06:19 AM

How bad is it? At 9:00am I'm sitting at Sawmeal Restaurant waiting on my omelet. Two days in a row of nothing.

EFH 03-20-2013 01:53 PM

Mmmmmm....sawmill

EFH 03-20-2013 01:55 PM

And just think bald9eagle, getting cold tonight and lots of rain sat! :(

bald9eagle 03-20-2013 02:05 PM

Yeah. We were supposed to be staying tonight and hunting Thursday as well. No need in wasting another day when the birds aren't even ready.

On the plus side the birds should be getting right by the time it opens up here in north Alabama.

SouthernStrut56 03-20-2013 08:22 PM

Not sure when I'm gonna hunt again. I'm doing some house hunting right now (perfect timing I know). Hopefully we'll get it over with soon but my luck I'll probably close on one right when the birds are getting hot. I may spend the whole weekend working on some calls or I may try to slip out and hunt one morning....or both! I haven't quite decided yet. Maybe the weather will turn out good over Easter weekend.

Arrowmaster 03-21-2013 03:32 PM

Welcome BUCKMARK to the team

SouthernStrut56 03-21-2013 06:30 PM

Welcome aboard Buckmark

bald9eagle 03-21-2013 06:36 PM

Welcome to the new team members. We need to get this thing going to defend the title.

Traveling Fur Hunter 03-21-2013 08:55 PM

Im so sorry all. We have a family trip coming in about a month, and seeing as how I dont have drivers license, I cant hunt until this fall or next spring. Sorry again. Hope I havent caused any problem. I'll be your man next year I promise.

BUCKMARK 03-22-2013 11:20 AM

Buckmark checking in, lots of pressure to be put on the returning champs team. I will be hunting in Illinois and I am really looking forward to this years hunt. Last year they planted winter wheat in the large field on the property. The winter has been a good one and there should be plenty of birds around...In other words, I can't wait to get out...

Arrowmaster 03-22-2013 12:58 PM

Welcome BUCKMARK :)

BUCKMARK 03-22-2013 02:15 PM

My season is still almost a month away, time to get the calls and decoys out and make sure they are in tip top shape.

hunting junkie 03-23-2013 12:04 PM

Welcome buckmark....what town you live in in illinois

Arrowmaster 03-23-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Traveling Fur Hunter (Post 4045271)
Im so sorry all. We have a family trip coming in about a month, and seeing as how I dont have drivers license, I cant hunt until this fall or next spring. Sorry again. Hope I havent caused any problem. I'll be your man next year I promise.

Thats too bad. Have a good one :)

doetrain 03-23-2013 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the Team Buckmark. Our season is a month away also,heard the first gobble of the year this morning in the Hoosier National Forest,real nice Bird got a look at him coming out of a tree. Also got my first trail cam pic of a decent Tom last night in the woods behind my house. He's not what I'm gunning for but a decent Bird. Once again welcome and get er done for the Team.:party0007:

BUCKMARK 03-24-2013 11:13 AM

I reside in Carol Stream

quote=hunting junkie;4045792]Welcome buckmark....what town you live in in illinois[/quote]

SouthernStrut56 03-24-2013 01:57 PM

Well my buddy went Saturday morning without me and sat in my blind on my property during thunder and lightning, and whacked a nice bird with inch spurs and a 10" beard. He never gobbled, just came cruising by the blind in the rain with 2 of his buddies. I wasn't able to go because wife and I have been house hunting and finally found one to make an offer on.......busy as crap needless to say, and perfect timing right?! But I snuck off this morning and went back to where he killed his and called up a bunch of hens and jakes. Next weekend oughta be great after a few warm days late in the week.

hunting junkie 03-25-2013 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56 (Post 4046020)
Well my buddy went Saturday morning without me and sat in my blind on my property during thunder and lightning, and whacked a nice bird with inch spurs and a 10" beard. He never gobbled, just came cruising by the blind in the rain with 2 of his buddies. I wasn't able to go because wife and I have been house hunting and finally found one to make an offer on.......busy as crap needless to say, and perfect timing right?! But I snuck off this morning and went back to where he killed his and called up a bunch of hens and jakes. Next weekend oughta be great after a few warm days late in the week.

Stay after em SS56...sounds like a matter of time

bald9eagle 03-26-2013 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56 (Post 4046020)

I guess if there was ever a good time to house hunt during turkey season the last two weeks have been it. The good thing about the weather and lack of gobbling is that it will separate the turkey hunters from the guys that hunt turkeys. I've already heard about guys grumbling that the club they were in didn't have birds and they weren't going to be back next year. Another guy in the same club said he has heard five birds but they only gobbled 1-2 times apiece. I love it.

bald9eagle 03-26-2013 04:30 AM

Funny thing about Alabama. Last year the birds started early. Should be a lot of "super jakes" this year. Starting late this year. Gonna be a late hatch.

I've always heard that length of day was a driver for the breeding cycle to start. I'm beginning to think that the toms don't start the gobbling until the hens tell them to. I am wondering if ground temp encourages hens to start nesting which leads to toms having to seek out the hens. Anybody read up on nesting/flock breakup/peak gobbling?

doetrain 03-26-2013 05:05 AM

Well team mate one things for sure they will sooner or later be talking to us. I'm personally looking forward to that exchange in about a month,and I plan on having the last word,BANG!

turkman1 03-26-2013 05:42 PM

Welcome buckmark
I am from IL to and I have a month till I go hunt IL. I have 3 and 5 season. I am going to Nebraska in April. I live in Canton, IL

DTC 03-26-2013 05:52 PM

Hey Guys, I can't get an email back to get DTC Jr logged on so I hope it's ok for me to post for him if he has any luck. The youth season in MO opens a week from Saturday.

SouthernStrut56 03-26-2013 07:29 PM

baldeagle, interesting thought on ground temperature. Sounds like it would make sense to me. And hopefully junkie is right about it only being a matter of time for me. I've been in a big slump the past couple of years, looking to break out real soon. I keep waiting for that perfect morning where it all falls into place and everything works out as planned.........but we all know turkey hunts never end up as planned. I heard north Alabama got some good snow this past weekend. If it starts warming up next week, April might just be the hottest month of turkey hunting we've had in a while down here. Hopefully I'll get to take advantage of it enough days to lay us down a couple longbeards. Good luck to everybody hitting the woods in the coming weeks!

Arrowmaster 03-27-2013 05:26 PM

Yes DTC thats ok... Im headed to Missouri on April 13th and will hunt the 15th. Im ready to feel that rush :)

turkman1 03-27-2013 05:39 PM

Good luck shoot a big old gobbler.

Turkman

Arrowmaster 03-28-2013 02:09 PM

Please welcome our new team member MDManiac

turkman1 03-29-2013 05:27 AM

Welcome McManiac happy you can be on our team. I hope you get a big turk.

Turkman

turkman1 03-29-2013 05:35 AM

I just got back from the woods.I saw 4 gobblers 3 jakes and 8 hens all together. It maybe a good year.

Turkman

doetrain 03-29-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster (Post 4046899)
Please welcome our new team member MDManiac

Welcome to the team MDManiac,good hunting be yours as you join us in our Quest to be the best in 2013 Spring Season.:party0005:

EFH 03-29-2013 03:59 PM

Ok, going to guide this weekend then off to north BAMA where I took a couple for us last year. The landowner has been seeing lots of turkeys in his pastures! I'm leaving Sunday and hunting until Friday, so hopefully I can hang one upside down by then!
Welcome to the new members and good luck to you all!

SS, I think your right....April looks like it's going to be prime time for us

Arrowmaster 03-29-2013 04:17 PM

Good luck Ethan and Be safe...

EFH 03-29-2013 04:31 PM

Arrow, looks like we gotta tighten up! Lol!!