Team 18 "The Widow Makers" Official Thread >

Team 18 "The Widow Makers" Official Thread

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 18 "The Widow Makers" Official Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 18 "The Widow Makers" Official Thread

I did not see one Sat. Weather moving in and we are going again on Tues. Hope to add to our one bird. Things are still real quiet, slowest I can remember.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

I came oh so close to filling tag number two yesterday afternoon. Two longbeards were behind my house when I got home from church in a small field. They stayed there for a little better than an hour with no way for me to get to them. I was finally able to get around in front of them as they worked their way out a ridge. The two boys came in strutting and gobbling with a hen, but managed to stay out of range.

Here is the kicker of the story. After an hour or so in the woods, they disappeared on me. For the life of me I could not figure out what happened. I got up and began walking back to the house. Halfway back a horn blowing sparked a gobble from one of the toms. As I approached the field from the back side I could see that the birds had made their way back to their starting spot. I watched the birds as they began to walk across the field and head towards my house. At the entrance of the field I have a hay roll sitting there as a back stop for my deer target. As soon as they walked past the roll, I moved across the field along the edge in hopes of being able to ambush one. I am not passed shooting one in the back of the head. When I got to the road, they were gone. I continued walking the short road (about 70 yards to the house, which is in full view at this time) in hopes to catch up. As I neared the yard I could see my lab in her pen looking towards the front yard. I eased up to the house and around the corner. Nothing. As I stood there wondering where they had gone, I could here them across the road walking through the woods. These birds had made a fool out of me. I had left my house to chase these birds only to have them walk through my backyard, around my house, across the front yard, and onto the neighbors property.

I hope that I can get back out this coming weekend in an effort to get one of these birds right after flydown.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys here was my weekend. Oh so close.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2789120

Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

2 days left....then im in the field...wx doesnt look like its going to cooperate.....but ill still be out
Old 05-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son killed a jake on Tues. I will try and get pictures loaded. The fan is pretty unique, the tail feathers are all even in length. They are not short on the sides and long in the middle. I believe it is a very young jake, maybe a late hatch. My son is 9 and this is his first time shooting at a turkey. I am very proud of him. He waited for the open shot and made a great shot.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

This is the last weekend of season for me. The KY season ends Sunday, so I have only two more days to get it done. The two birds that I mentioned in my earlier post have been all around our place. In our yard, our neighbors yard, behind my parents' house, they have been everywhere except in range of my gun. My buddy that came over earlier this season is coming over to see if he can assist me in tagging one of these birds in the morning. Hopefully we can get it done.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

The KY season has come and gone. Saturday morning I should have filled my second tag, but came away with a clean miss. The two birds that had foiled me earlier came in on a string and I blew it. I have replayed the shot a million times in my head only to come up with my head not being down on the gun good causing me to shoot right over his head. DANG IT![:@] Sorry guys.

After that little episode we were able to call in three lone longbeards, but they did not offer a shot. Why can they never come in like they need to?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

hopefully only a matter of time..... ive been working birds everyday ive been out(approx 5 days).... just cant seem to seal the deal.....back at it sat.... good luck
Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

I havn't had much luck either...

I heard a group of toms on the first morning, but they weren't intrested in any of my calling and I havn't heard anything since.

I've been on a turkey drought the last couple years. They're around, just not when I step into the woods![&:]
Old 05-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, i scheduled a turkey hunt for the 24th, hopefully i can connect on one. I'm still alive, school, baseball and trapshooting have pretty much consumed 100% of my life as of right now[:@]

Quick Reply: Team 18 "The Widow Makers" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.