Team 4 "SnoodStoppers" >

Team 4 "SnoodStoppers"

The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 4 "SnoodStoppers"

Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 4 Check in!

Good luck!

We killed another one in MO this morning.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Arkansas season's over, and i'm sorry to report that i did not get a gobbler. the weather, loggers cutting on the lease, and poor health could all be used as an excuse, but i just couldn't get the few i heard gobble to respond. season here started after all the gobblers were henned up, and i had report of finding a hen on nest with eggs the first week of season. whatever the reason, they would not respond. hope some of you can take up my slack. will just make me even more determined next year! one good thing for next year--there's not enough timber left owned by timber co. to cut next year on the lease. the private land, with all the good hardwoods, will be the only place for them to roost, so it should make it easier to locate them. take care, and BE SAFE!---Bill
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iowa bird down. I shot this guy Saturday morning. He was hammering my calls in the roost all morning, flew down about 300 yards out. Strutted and gobbled the whole way in with another gobbler. Dusted him at 35 yards. H&ll Yeah!!!! 21 lbs, 10" beard, 15/16" spurs.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work! I came up empty again. The property I hunt in IL is a large corn/beanfield on a ridge. Once the Tom's get henned-up ( and that's most of the season) they fly down into the valley/canyon/ravines\, and don't come up into the fields until late afternoon. The canyon is off-limits as it is a Nature preserve and closed to hunting. I usually sit in a blind all morning. Fri afternoon around 5:30 I crept up unto the ridge and glassed a nice Tom strutting with a large Jake nearby. After a while they both walked into the woods. I moved my blind into that secluded corner of the field and came back before dawn on Sat. From 5:30am to 6:45am was non-stop gobbling nearby,from at least 7 turkeys after that there was sporadic gobbling on the ground but then moving away. I called to them while they were on the roost (as did the hen behind me) but by 8:00am all went silent except for the occational gobble from far away. It's really frustrating, I need a new property to hunt! I know that having access to the woods would help even though it would never be a done deal. I'd sneal down into the ravine and get below the birds on the river bottom where there are plenty of sandbars and strutting zones.
On a positive note, I've been hunting this property for three years with no luck on a Tom, but I have had opportunities to kill Jakes, but I held out. I think next year I won't be so merciful!
Oh well, Three more days in WI last season on Memorial day weekend. Here I'll be able to hunt until sundown. I also have more access to woods even though the Tom's always seem to be on the way larger (300ac) adjopining property. I've come close here before. With a whole day I guess I'll need to find a good book and read all day!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job zubba!!! Way to put the smack down! Congrats. Rain all weekend here in Ohio. I'm going to try and get a couple mornings off from work this week since this coming Sunday is the last day. I'll do my best
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got looking through previous posts, then looked at the rankings and it appears we have some birds down that are not recorded. So I thought I would take a minute a tally up what I could find through previous posts. Please PM me or reply if you see any errors. Then I can let JW know. Thanks

300ultramag - 0
buckeyehntr5 - 57.25
colbea - 29.375
Dr. Andy -50.5 (not sure if this bird counts...although it was taken legally)
knifemaker - 0
paintbrush - 57.6875
MH - 62.5 (not sure on the stats of your other 2 birds)
shaggy1224 - 0
zubba - 59.75
TeeJay - 58.9375
greymonster - 0
Old 05-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check with JW, I don't think that bird counts, it was out of season and at a hunt club. I think only a wild bird during a legal season counts.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well boys my season is over. Went out Sat. and Sunday and had no luck. I ended up taking the bow out and I just couldn't get them to come in close enough. I probably would have had better luck with the gun, but it was still fun. I went 1 for 2 this year which is better than 0 for so I can't complain. Good luck to everyone that has their season's still open.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last chance for me coming in WI this weekend!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm done. Saw a lot of turkeys over the weekend, all the wrong gender. I'm sure the area I was in was a designated nesting zone. Heard one gobble way in the distance on Sat morning on the neighboring property. Oh well, better luck next year!

Quick Reply: Team 4 "SnoodStoppers"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.