Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
 Team 15... Spurr-fect >

Team 15... Spurr-fect

The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 15... Spurr-fect

Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Team 15... Spurr-fect

Thanks Hoyt.A good friend of mine has a ranch hand that looks out for his cattle. This guy was checking fence the other day and flushed a hen off a nest full of eggs. The more those hens go to sit, the lonelier those ol toms will be. I'm hoping that saturday will be a good one.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got up early this morning and went out before work on the property directly behind work. First time out this year...... AND I SCORED!!!!!!!!!!

Story and pics later, I have to get on the road for work. Here's the stats though:

Turkey's Weight: 19.0 lbs. 0 oz.

Spur length Right: 0.875 in. Left: 1.000 in.

Beard length 8.750 in.

Your score is 19 + 8.75 + 10 + 17.5 = 55.25

[hr]
Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I'm back and can post pics and the story:

I haven't had a chance to go out since the season opened on the 12th this year. I was out of town but it was cool and rainy anyway. A warm front finally moved in with yesterday being around 70 and today 76. My alarm went off at 4 am and I hit the snooze button twice. The third time I thought to myself that my wife didn't get a lot of sleep the night before because of kids and if I hit this snooze one more time she'd kill me. So I got up. I didn't have a lot of hope for this location. I hadn't heard a single gobbler there last year.But since it's directly behind my work and I have seen turkey there I figured it's better than sleeping in. I got there about 5:45 am and got set up on a field behind the owners house. I set up two feeding hen decoys andbacked up against a tree. As light comes on I do a few soft yelps. Later I simulate a couple fly downs by slapping my leg with my gloved hand. (it's in the 40's at this time of day so I have on felt gloves and didn't have on a ball cap). By 6:40 I still haven't heard the first bird even though two trains have whistled (shock gobble) and I've called as sexy as my limited skill can muster. I look to my right and see a doe watching me. I yelp to her and she can't figure out what I am. I can only see part of her as she's below a rise but I can tell she's not alone. She finally decides I'm not anything good and I see three tails bounding for the woods. A few minutes later I decide to reposition as I'm running out of time before I need to be to work. I decide some more elevation is needed to get my call out into the mountains. I climb a small hill and make a few calls from it's peak. Nothing. I cross the saddle and start up the next hill that marks the back of the property. I'm noticing several scratchings and what looks like hen droppings. I'm also noticing I need to kick my treadmill routine up a notch cause I'm sucking oxygen on this short incline. At the top of this foothill is a fallen tree, about 10 yards short of the crest. I thought I'd sit behind it and do some calling but when I got into position I wasn't satisfied. There was a leaning tree just ahead right on the crest itself allowing me a larger field of view. I moved up to the tree and looked ahead to see a tom in full strut, his head white and blue. He was behind a screen of bushes about 30 yards away. He started moving to my left, maintaining distance. A second bird, also in strut appeared, coming from below the rise. They moved left towards an opening. The first bird entered the opening and then the second. I couldn't tell which was bigger but I could tell they both had decent beards. I didn't have a mouth call in my mouth because I'm not very good at using them so I just used my mouth and tried to make a putt sound to bring them out of strut. They wouldn't do it. The first bird turned it's back to me and the second bird was sideways. I tried two more putts and said "Forget it". My Winchester barked and the second tom dropped in his tracks. Gobblers exploded everywhere. Apparently 5-6 more gobblers were below my line of sight following the two I could see. One landed in a pine about 60 yards tomy right and putted while I walked to my tom, his head still white with dots of red where my pellets had connected.

Here's the picture I took with my phone on the site where I shot him. That blurry barkless tree leaning above his fan tailis where I was when I shot him.

Here I am back in the owner's field.

One more.

Yes, that is a bluetooth headset in my ear. I was using it to call my buddies and tell them I scored. It's not my biggest bird but it's my first mountain bird. I can get two more this year and now it's time to try at them with a bow!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
car
Typical Buck

Nice bird. I hope to be shooting one on Monday. Good job!
car
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Nice bird! congrats sounds like one heck of a morning, i cant wait to get out this weekend and try to get the youngster a bird, then monday its on like donkey kong
Old 04-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Great job Talondale. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I will get it posted ASAP. Also, you might want to post the story and pics over on the photos post.

Again, great job. Team Spurrfect is on the move!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

We're in second place now guys. Let's connect on some birds this weekend and get back first place!

TEAM #15 Spurr-fect
1 brandon_rundquist 1 72.2500
2 car
3 fenrick
4 HoytUltraTecDrew
5 learningturkeys
6 nick_bleuer76
7 ranchand99 1 69.7500
8 RJPOUTDOORS
9 Talondale 1 55.25
10 webbclan CAPTAIN 1 62.0000
11 oldreloader
11 TOTAL TEAM BIRDS TAKEN 4
Total Points 259.2500 259.2500
Team Rank 23.5682%

Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 PM

I'm looking to better my score. I'll be chasing Easterns tomorrow morning. Looks like a workday opportunity for Rios in Southwestern Oklahoma next week on the way back from a business trip.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats Talondale!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ranch. Any updates anyone? Was hoping someone would have connected this weekend.

Quick Reply: Team 15... Spurr-fect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.