Community
Archery Gear Bows, sights, rests, releases, quivers, cases, and more! Buy, sell, or trade all of your archery equipment here!

Recurve Bow

Old 04-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Spike

Default Recurve Bow

Looking to get into bowhunting bucks and boars. Any recurve bows anyone here would suggest/looking to be getting rid of?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Do you have experience with a recurve or any bow?

Why recurve? Lots of guys like them. Just curious why you do?

Myself, I don't care, I just want to be in the woods longer. Nostallgia is not one of my things.

When I did buy my bow, besides reading up on stuff, I ended up going with the one that felt good in my hand. When buy crossbow, it was sale, reputation of company.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Spike

I've used several different bows before, I only hunted with firearms then though. Recurves always felt right for some reason though.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I suspect there are forums dedicated to just recurves. While there may be people here, that use one, it is in the minority.

If you want to use one, give it a shot.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:36 PM
Spike

Bear and Martin are very good recurves. I have a 60 lb Bear Grizzly. It is a great shooting bow.I use to own a Martin, and it was a very nice bow.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Did you hunt with it or just target shoot? The size must make you do use different tactics. Some tree stands would not work, some ground blinds would not either.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

I used to use bear black bear and killed deer with it, but you are going to have to start now and practice every night once you get a bow and get it setup. They are not too big for tree stands and I used to kill deer out of a 1990's climber.

Now I use a selfbow I made or I use a Xbow. I know it sounds like a oxymoron, but I use both. New farm was hard to hunt and get deer consistently close so I saw an Killer instinct 350 on an auction and got for about $200 brand new. I've since found some funnels I might start hunting with my selfbow again in the thick areas.

Last edited by archeryrob; 05-04-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

My computer went nuts and had to be restarted, I lost what I typed.

You need to get a bow and then arrows. Arrows spine might be 10# over the bow weight, but needs to be fine tuned. Then set a nock point for proper flight.

Learning instinctive shooting. You basically focus on the target and not the bow and draw and hit the target. you brain does all the calcs in the background just like throwing a baseball. You need to work on being extremely repetitive. Same stance, same draw, same anchor, same release. If you vary at all while learning you're going to miss and get frustrated. Once you develop it you can shoot a lot more positions and angles and footings no other archers can do, but it can be HIGHLY frustrating to learn when you do it wrong. You need to practice very night and when you get weak and tired your shooting will suck and you're not learning. you need to train the neural connections to be able to do it with lots of repetition.

I snap shoot but that is way beyond what you need to know at this point and explaining it would probably mess you up trying to develop your form.

I would suggest going to the Tradgang.com and read stuff, then ask stuff. Look for archers in your area and post in the state section and see who can help. Traditioanl guys love to help new archers as long as you are open minded.