Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Archery Gear
Colorado Elk Hunting Maps >

Colorado Elk Hunting Maps

Community
Archery Gear Bows, sights, rests, releases, quivers, cases, and more! Buy, sell, or trade all of your archery equipment here!

Colorado Elk Hunting Maps

Old 06-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Spike

Default Colorado Elk Hunting Maps

Want to find more elk? Give my maps a try--

http://startmyhunt.com/

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why should I buy a map from you when I can go to the DOW's interactive maps and simply download them or print them for free?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Why should I buy a map from you when I can go to the DOW's interactive maps and simply download them or print them for free?
Glad you asked. Sure, you can get a map that shows the seasonal elk ranges from the CPW site. However, will the CPW maps show you exactly where the more than 7,000 elk hunting hot spots are located in Colorado? How about the more than 2,000,000 acres of elk security habitat? Or the primary elk forage areas? The answer to all three questions is no.

You will not find the data that I have on my maps at any price through any other retailer or agency. At least check out my home page, which explains in more detail the features shown on my maps.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by startmyhunt
Glad you asked. Sure, you can get a map that shows the seasonal elk ranges from the CPW site. However, will the CPW maps show you exactly where the more than 7,000 elk hunting hot spots are located in Colorado? How about the more than 2,000,000 acres of elk security habitat? Or the primary elk forage areas? The answer to all three questions is no.

You will not find the data that I have on my maps at any price through any other retailer or agency. At least check out my home page, which explains in more detail the features shown on my maps.

Thanks,
Mike
I grew up hunting elk in CO. I'm pretty sure I can use the DOW maps to get into elk. Matter of fact, I have done just that. I've taken about 25 elk of my own and have been in on the taking of more than 100 others. I see no reason to re-invent the wheel

By the way, a hot spot today isn't a hot spot tomorrow. You know that right? If a hot spot gets too much pressure, buy someone selling the location, it is ruined for a long, long time. But historical range data is just that, historical range data and therefore more dependable. And nobody hunts 2,000,000 acres of elk habitat. They hunt select areas within that much area. I happen to have the phone numbers of the game wardens for the areas I hunt. if I want up to date current info on where the herds are, I'll give them a call, meet them for coffee and find out the scoop. That makes more sense than buying what you're trying to peddle.

Sorry, I'll pass.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
I grew up hunting elk in CO. I'm pretty sure I can use the DOW maps to get into elk. Matter of fact, I have done just that. I've taken about 25 elk of my own and have been in on the taking of more than 100 others. I see no reason to re-invent the wheel

By the way, a hot spot today isn't a hot spot tomorrow. You know that right? If a hot spot gets too much pressure, buy someone selling the location, it is ruined for a long, long time. But historical range data is just that, historical range data and therefore more dependable. And nobody hunts 2,000,000 acres of elk habitat. They hunt select areas within that much area. I happen to have the phone numbers of the game wardens for the areas I hunt. if I want up to date current info on where the herds are, I'll give them a call, meet them for coffee and find out the scoop. That makes more sense than buying what you're trying to peddle.

Sorry, I'll pass.
To each there own. However, as a wildlife biologist and someone who has lived in CO their entire life and been elk hunting for around 35 years, I feel that my credibility is comparable if not superior. Also, over the last 20 years of my career, I have had the opportunity to work with most of the western Game and Fish Departments in developing EISs and EAs that specifically detail impacts to wildlife as a result of human activities, including hunting. I use the same parameters these agencies use to create the detail found in my maps.
So continue to bash my maps. I really do not care. The science is sound. Those that take the time to understand my methodolgy will benefit from my maps. One more thing, the historical range data that the states use is very dynamic in nature and can change from year to year based upon natural events and human activities. If you could tell me the scientific difference between elk winter concentration areas and elk severe winter range, you will get a gold star.

Have a good day,
Mike
Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Spike

flags, they also use to say the earth was flat. I know what I have come up with is not for you. It is for anybody who has been dreaming about hunting elk in Colorado. I am in no way implying that if you buy my maps, you will kill an elk. But if you have not hunted a new area and have a limited amount of time and money for scouting trips, my maps will at least show you where to start hunting.

You may not like that or my maps, because I have probably pinpointed your little honey hole on one of my maps.

Have a good day and happy hunting,
Mike

Last edited by startmyhunt; 06-10-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

To each his own, but all these services for a fee that are telling people where to hunt are IMHO ruining it for the guy that does all his own research for free. It's no wonder it takes so many points now to even come close to drawing a tag in a lot of areas in many of the western states! Having said that, it's a free country and at least it sounds like from your career that you know what you're doing, so good luck in your new career!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-13-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Spelling