Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Archery Gear
 New Bow Ideas for Unlucky Archer >

New Bow Ideas for Unlucky Archer

Community
Archery Gear Bows, sights, rests, releases, quivers, cases, and more! Buy, sell, or trade all of your archery equipment here!

New Bow Ideas for Unlucky Archer

Old 04-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Default New Bow Ideas for Unlucky Archer

Greetings:

I've posted a bit on the firearms pages & had wonderful feedback so I figured I try here as well. My problem has been terrible luck, literally. I've had my last two bows break on me within one year of my purchasing of said bows (less than 500 shots taken). Both of the bows were from the leading companies in single cam and hybrid camtechnology [I won't name them b/c I do consider the breaks flukes]. I take great care with my equipment, so negligence was not a factor. So, this all leads me to my question. What are some companies & modelsthat are in the upper lower to mid price ranges do some of you out there recommend that I trade my current for? I say lower & mid priced as those last two were both $700+ bows and I just don't see spending that much again for some time until my confidence returns in spending the extra dollar on them. I would prefer large brace heights and am not all interested in superfast models or untested prototype/fad models. Plainly put, a $300-600 (at most), bow with 7"+ brace height, that is sturdy and conventional in build. I shoot release, but I take forgiveness over speed every time. I hope to hear what all is out there from people who have gone out and had more time to shoot than me. Thanx. PS: sorry, on the length ofpost.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Default RE: New Bow Ideas for Unlucky Archer

If your bows break of flukes, the manufacturers warranty should cover this. (unless you are ultimately responsible) Especially since they are $700+ bows. Am I missing something?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:22 PM

I did have the single cam bow replaced--one of the limbs fractured as I went to draw on a deer. There were no questions asked, and I was very happy w/the company's return policy. However, I traded the repaired one in later that year--I just neverfelt comfortable with it afterward--for a hybrid cammed bow. The hybrid shot wonderfully but, has been incredibly finicky and the sting has come undone twice (in less than a year, <300 shots). Both my dad and I have a combined 50 years of shooting and that's never happened to either of us so I just want something that I can trust when I need it most. I hope that answers your question.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Spike

I like Parker bows myself. Check them out and sorry bout your luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Check out Pearson, they have a great lineup and some great shooters for a great price.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 PM

IMO I have to suggest Fred Bear bows. There prize is reasonable and it is a high quality product.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm suprised noone's said it yet, but PSE is a great brand. I'm familiar with bows from all different price-ranges. I've got a PSE recurve I've been bowfishing with for at least 9 years now with no problems at all, and I have a 10-11 year old Mach 8 that's been just as reliable. I know many people that have bows from $200 on up that love them and have had them for several years. Give them a shot.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 AM

Thank you guys very much for the feedback. So far, I've pretty much narrowed it down to three bows. The PSE Brute NRG Plus, the Browning Vapor, and the APA Taipan XP are the three bows that seem to at least on paper be what I like the most. All are single cam, compact, with large brace heights,which I tend to look for. I still need to go out and shoot the bows still, but was wondering what others who have shot these bows (or at least have longterm experience with the companies) think. PSE has a great reputation and is the cheapest of three, but I hold price relatively low as I ultimately will buy what works best. Browning seems to be along the same lines, with perhaps a few more features and a slightly larger price tag. Lastly, APA, whice I will admit to never seeing one of their bows in person, seems to have the best stats, but I have the most questions about a company that prides itself towards raw speed over practical accuracy (hence my leaning to the 8"+ brace height model). So, if anyone has shot any of these three bows--or has experience w/good customer service &/or reliability, please feel free to comment. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM

I had posted on A/T http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=475568the question of which bowout of different group. I started out with this group and ended shooting a total of 14 different bows.

I narrowed it down to the Elite Synergy and Ross Cardiac. They have great customer service and they are about $100 cheaper than their direct competitor. IMO I was not sacrificing features or craftsmanship for the difference in money, I was actually gaining! I ended up choosing the Ross, for those cold morning in a treestand, a little easier to pull back.

I recommend that you shoot as many as you can and decide what feels good to you and fits your budget.

BSLugnut
Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know if you tried the new fred bear bow out yet or not the TRUTH bow,if you have not shot this bow yet go shoot it it only has a 7in.brace height but this bow is a shooter that's for sure,I have shot and owned a few of the highend bows and for the dollar you won't go wrong it is one sweet shooting bow for 200.00 or more less than your high end bows.and the word PRIMOS says it all they would have never put there name on it if it was not a good bow.