Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Airgun Hunting
Squirrel hunting with the TX200 >

Squirrel hunting with the TX200

Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

Squirrel hunting with the TX200

Old 11-04-2021, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Squirrel hunting with the TX200

I took my TX200 out for a squirrel hunt. I hit my local hot spot to find a few young ones for the skillet.

Our river corridor is loaded with squirrels and almost no one hunts them. The first spot I went (picture above) had several but they seemed to be extra skittish. I thought that was odd since no one hunts. Then I saw two hawks and an owl. That might keep them on their toes. I got one there.

The second spot is my favorite. I didn't have a ton of time but I had a couple hours. I walked an old road and the squirrels were there. No long shots were needed to pick up two more for a total of three for the skillet. I don't really need more than that.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh boy, get the flour, salt and pepper and a pot of boiling water with some onion celery and carrot ready and some bacon grease ready to go. Par boil the squirrels in the water till a cooking fork passes easily through a thigh, then dredge the squirrel parts in the floud seasoned with salt and pepper and out them in a skillet with the bacon grease, sometimes I use butter and bacon grease and fry on both sides till nice and brown. Makes for some good eating, crisp on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. I always separate the front and back legs from the body and cut away the ribs which have no meat anyway and cut the back in half, makes it easier to fry the loins and second back piece. I never got to eat the lion section of the back, my daughter loved them when she was only about 4.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-04-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Nice big fox squirrels!

-Jake
Old 11-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

As always, great topic and back story. Congrats Ron!
Old 11-07-2021, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that I'm starting into partial retirement. These kind of hunts should be easier to get time to do.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Partial retirement? Sounds interesting.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
Partial retirement? Sounds interesting.
I'm cutting back my work load. I'm taking the winter off and plan to not work more than 20 hours a week when I do go back. I have decided that there is more to life than working and dyeing.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats Ron on the partial retirement. I went to that about 10 years ago and it was very family friendly. Spoiler alert--I had a buddy who warned me that those 2 work days would eventually get in the way of the stuff I wanted to do the other 5 days. Wise advice.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Congrats Ron on the partial retirement. I went to that about 10 years ago and it was very family friendly. Spoiler alert--I had a buddy who warned me that those 2 work days would eventually get in the way of the stuff I wanted to do the other 5 days. Wise advice.
That does sound like wise advise. 🤣🤣
Old 11-09-2021, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

You do get used to it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.