HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Airgun Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting-163/)
-   -   I'm now having a dialog with a certain OK game warden via email: dove death by Gamo (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting/426943-im-now-having-dialog-certain-ok-game-warden-via-email-dove-death-gamo.html)

AlongCameJones 10-29-2021 04:20 PM

I'm now having a dialog with a certain OK game warden via email: dove death by Gamo

I'm now having a dialog with a certain OK game warden via email: dove death by Gamo (Beeman, Daisy, Crosman, Benjamin, etc.) controversy to share with you here as follows:

ME:
Questions about Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma

1. Is this a PROTECTED species in Oklahoma? Many jurisdictions around the world, including many in North America, consider this bird a pest or invasive species.
2. Local weapons ordinances notwithstanding, are BB guns, pellet guns and/or air rifles prohibited as a lawful means for taking Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma?
3. Do I need a valid hunting license or anything else to lawfully take Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma?
4. Are there specific seasons for taking Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma or may they be taken year round on public and/or private property?
5. Are there any limits for taking or possessing Eurasian Collared Doves?

OK GAME WARDEN:
Hello Mr. Jones,
  1. In Oklahoma Eurasian Collared Dove are protected.
  2. None of the guns you listed are a legal means of taking dove during dove season, so no you could not use them.
  3. Yes, you would need a hunting license.
  4. There is a season on them.
  5. There is no daily limit within the legal season dates as long as a head or fully feathered wing remains attached until you reach your final destination.
The dates and daily limits as found in the Oklahoma hunting regulations are copied below. Hope this answers all of your questions. Have a great day!

Dove (Mourning, White-Winged
& Eurasian Collared)
Dates
Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 and Dec. 1-29; statewide.

Daily Limit
15. The limit may consist of any combination (aggregate) of mourning, white-winged and fully dressed Eurasian collared doves (those without a head or fully feathered wing naturally attached to the carcass).

However, there is no bag limit on Eurasian collared doves provided that the head or one fully feathered wing remains naturally attached to the carcass of all such birds while being transported to their final destination.

ME AGAIN:

Hello, Marni:

Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering what the biological or conservation reasoning is behind protecting the Eurasian Collared Dove in this state since this is purported to be an invasive species in America and abroad by various sources. This particular bird seems to be menacing to farmers especially. As far as I know, this bird has no US federal protections.

Also, what is the wildlife conservation reasoning behind the prohibition on air guns for taking dove of any species? Does federal law currently prohibit the taking of any dove species in the US by air gun? I'm an advocate for legalizing air guns' ethical use in hunting. Air guns, after all, do offer a significant public safety and noise-emissions-reduction advantage over firearms including shotguns. More hunters can routinely hit a small target accurately and humanly with a single-projectile weapon like an accurately-aimed powder rifle or an air gun and especially do so with a scope sight. It's significantly harder in marksmanship skills to humanely take a bird on the wing with a shotgun. Therefore, many shotgun-shot wounded birds, I believe, are unrecovered by shotgun hunters each and every fowl season to be wasted. I see the air gun upland-bird possibility to be a boon to wildlife conservation and ethical/safe hunting. Farmers, ranchers and rural landowners tend to appreciate air guns for hunting on their respective properties more due to enhanced safety and reduced noise. Noise from firearms otherwise spooks their animals.

I'm hoping game law legislators in Oklahoma will start to see the light real soon regarding the sensibility of the whole notion of ethical air gun hunting. This is a fast-becoming a popular sport worldwide and nationwide. Air gun hunting legalizing is getting to be in high demand these days. It's a long time coming to think outside the box [of shotgun shells] and give air guns their deserved day in the field to offer ethical fowl hunting a whole new breath of fresh [and compressed] smoke-free air.

Sincerely,
Mr. Along C. Jones V

mrbb 10-29-2021 04:44 PM

OK TODD<
AGAIN< what is your point?

another ODD post
you asked the OK game dept questions, they gave you answers
BUT you DON"T like there answers or maybe DON"T UNDERSTAND THEM, is more likely, as you seem to struggle to understand many things

you CLAIM to be an advocate for air guns
yet, I gather you don;t own any and have never even shot any in recent times!
know very little about them, minus video's you watched, which does NOTHING really in giving you any experience with them!
OK TODD
ASKING the OK< game dept if ANY PLACE IN THE USA allows hunting with air guns for them, is NOT There job to find that answer for you, there JOB is rules and regulations in THERE STATE of OK< and NOT other states!
SO your wasting your timer asking them! but you seem to enjoy wasting others times with dumb ./odd questions, you either lack the ability to find answers to yourself, or you just prefer to waste others times HOPING they do the work for you!

you are called a TROLL and other things on the other forums your on with the same ODD questions and forms of wasting others times, on subjects you have NO real experience on, , you just post about again THOUGHTS in your head you feel a need to share on forums!
and then when you feel offended you BLAME the SITE for being Hostile
yet, many many have TRIED to help you, before they realized that your just a troll and or, again lacking the effort to learn anything on your own, or just wanting to waste other folks time with your ODD posts and things you Talk about on forums

Maybe again, you really need to stop CONSIDERING and claiming to know things and get out there and start doing things
and MAYBE then you can come back and share with us, something you actually TRIED to do, and want to get better at with HELP from others that know more!
I again been replying here due to I have time to kill
but you should notice others are NOT really replying to your posts, ever wonder WHY that is,,. both here and on all the other forums your on with this same nonsense?
ever thing the issue is NOT other forum members but maybe take a look at a mirror closer!

BUT to Humor you I will again add this REAL info
Air guns are still dangerous, and there also NOT allowed to be fired in more places
the average shooter cannot hit anything any better than they can with a REAL rifle, or shotgun
its all about aiming
air guns also shoot LEAD and BB's, both have same impact on environment as the projectiles real firearms use!
since air rifles have a much faster drop in there projectile and effected more by wind drift, again being accurate at many ranges is NOT as easy as you THINK it is, but again, you never having any experience shooting them in MODERN times, you wouldn;t know this stuff
some how you managed to find videos on things, yet not absorb any REAL info on subject maters you find interest in
a major flaw when you never DO anything, but watch videos and THEN THINK< you know something, you DON"T!

experience is earned by DOING, not watching!
what ever happened to your DEER hunting?
give up on that too, and rather CONSIDER more things you won;t ever do??

AlongCameJones 10-29-2021 04:59 PM

Now I am asking them their REASONING behind their regs. I am a taxpayer in this state. I have the God-given right to voice my mind. I have the right also to voice my mind to my elected officials. No, I am not liking what I am hearing from the game warden so far. I am arguing in favor of my point of view to those in power. I hate it whenever there is too much government out in the game fields God gave humans to hunt on. I'm hoping others here will sympathize with me and join me in my quest. Until I get my way in this my home state regarding air gun hunting, I'm not so interested in taking up air guns at this point. I want them for putting dove in the freezer and on the barbie and for no other reason. First, the American hunting community has to get their respective state lawmakers to accept air guns for whatever ethical reason they want them for specifically before it would be even feasible for them to take up this sport. I'm not interested in rats, gophers, squirrels or paper as air gun targets alone. I don't eat crow or possum. But I digress. You must argue to the authorities all the VIRTUES of air gunning. Try to beat logic into their thick skulls. I wish there was an air gun hunting lobby. I want to be an activist and start a whole new air gun movement, perhaps a lobby. Please tell me how to do it.

MudderChuck 10-29-2021 05:07 PM

As anal as they are in California... It is legal, with a license, to take Collered Dove with an air rifle 365 days a year, no limit.
I Imagine if Nebraska does have a season or a limit it may be for control purposes.
Collered Dove are fairly easy to knock down, maybe fragile is the word I'm thinking of. My son has taken them with a fairly low powered pellet pistol, I believe 3.5 jules. He thought he was doing a good thing trying to keep them from crapping all over Grandmas patio and Grandma. I explained to him that hunting anything without a license just isn't worth the consequences.

mrbb 10-29-2021 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones (Post 4398235)
Now I am asking them their REASONING behind their regs. I am a taxpayer in this state. I have the God-given right to voice my mind. I have the right also to voice my mind to my elected officials. No, I am not liking what I am hearing from the game warden so far. I am arguing in favor of my point of view to those in power. I hate it whenever there is too much government out in the game fields God gave humans to hunt on. I'm hoping others here will sympathize with me and join me in my quest. Until I get my way in this my home state regarding air gun hunting, I'm not so interested in taking up air guns at this point. I want them for putting dove in the freezer and on the barbie and for no other reason. First, the American hunting community has to get their respective state lawmakers to accept air guns for what ethical reason they want them for specifically before it would be even feasible for them to take up this sport.You must argue to the authorities all the VIRTUES of air gunning. Try to beat logic into their thick skulls. I wish their was an air gun hunting lobby.

AGAIN< you stated there is TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT IN GAME FIELDS<
when have you actually been in a GAME FIELD to see them there??
SO< NOW that you KNOW you cannot hunt with air guns you have NO desire to hunt with them, and again you gave up on something before you ever even tried it!
and to be honst, MOST folks that use air guns do so for target shooting NOT hunting, so the major use for them is something you are NOT even going to try! like the rest of the topic's you bring up, you CONSIDER doing, but never do!

Imagine that?
had you found this info out first, you wouldn;t have wasted time with your first post on it, as that was all about CONSIDERING air guns no??

and yes you have a right to stand up for your view and opinion on things, have at it

but the facts are there are very few folks are wanting AIR guns to be used for hunting, as there are already better tools for the task in use and have been for a LONG time, way before air guns were even invented!
so, again, make all the calls and write all the letters to the GOVERNMENT officials you wish too,
but I doubt they will give you much notice or any of there time! as your asking for something few seem to want, !
I also wouldn;t be claiming to be an advocate for air guns, when you most likely are not part of any groups of air guns owners or MFG's or??
heck, you don't even hunt to be squawking about game laws and rules , ??
as you really cannot really complain about rules on things you DON"T do? there not really effecting you to be honest, you never hunted these doves before you knew they were illegal to hunt in your state, and won't hunt them now you know that?
what difference does it really have on YOU personally??
you DON"T even OWN a air gun either??
isn't that ODD??

AlongCameJones 10-29-2021 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MudderChuck (Post 4398236)
As anal as they are in California... It is legal, with a license, to take Collered Dove with an air rifle 365 days a year, no limit.
I Imagine if Nebraska does have a season or a limit it may be for control purposes.
Collered Dove are fairly easy to knock down, maybe fragile is the word I'm thinking of. My son has taken them with a fairly low powered pellet pistol, I believe 3.5 jules. He thought he was doing a good thing trying to keep them from crapping all over Grandmas patio and Grandma. I explained to him that hunting anything without a license just isn't worth the consequences.

Oklahoma is largely an old-foggie state. The good old boys here up at the game dept. might just think air guns as "soy boy". The OK game warden's brother might even be a FIREARMS dealer for all I know but who knows. Conflict of interest. Why such a redneck conservative state as Sooner so values this winged pest as the Eurasian Collared Dove, I have not the foggiest notion. I'm frankly surprised I don't need a permit to kill house flies with sticky window traps here.

AlongCameJones 10-29-2021 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4398239)
AGAIN< you stated there is TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT IN GAME FIELDS<
when have you actually been in a GAME FIELD to see them there??
SO< NOW that you KNOW you cannot hunt with air guns you have NO desire to hunt with them, and again you gave up on something before you ever even tried it!
and to be honst, MOST folks that use air guns do so for target shooting NOT hunting, so the major use for them is something you are NOT even going to try! like the rest of the topic's you bring up, you CONSIDER doing, but never do!

Imagine that?
had you found this info out first, you wouldn;t have wasted time with your first post on it, as that was all about CONSIDERING air guns no??

and yes you have a right to stand up for your view and opinion on things, have at it

but the facts are there are very few folks are wanting AIR guns to be used for hunting, as there are already better tools for the task in use and have been for a LONG time, way before air guns were even invented!
so, again, make all the calls and write all the letters to the GOVERNMENT officials you wish too,
but I doubt they will give you much notice or any of there time! as your asking for something few seem to want, !
I also wouldn;t be claiming to be an advocate for air guns, when you most likely are not part of any groups of air guns owners or MFG's or??
heck, you don't even hunt to be squawking about game laws and rules , ??
as you really cannot really complain about rules on things you DON"T do? there not really effecting you to be honest, you never hunted these doves before you knew they were illegal to hunt in your state, and won't hunt them now you know that?
what difference does it really have on YOU personally??
you DON"T even OWN a air gun either??
isn't that ODD??

It would be totally impractical for me to get into something by dumping money into it then to only find out the law won't allow me to use it the way I wish.

elkman30 10-30-2021 04:42 AM

I don't understand why Jones would refer to the DWC Captain as having a thick skull when the captain answered every one of his questions and was extremely helpful. Why insult the man when he went out of his way to be helpful to you with answers to all of your questions? I would imagine Oklahoma is like every other state in that the wildlife departments don't make the game laws, just enforce them. If you want to change something, you would need to contact your representative in the state legislature. It's one thing to post about issues in your state. It's entirely another thing to ask those of us who don't live in your state to find answers in your state for you. That comes across as lazy and entitled since you live in Oklahoma and we do not. Unfortunately, many of your posts come across that way--asking the rest of us to research stuff in your state. And bashing the Wildlife department captain who went out of his way to answer your questions and be helpful to you shows a distinct lack of class and manners and is just plain rude.

mrbb 10-30-2021 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by elkman30 (Post 4398250)
I don't understand why Jones would refer to the DWC Captain as having a thick skull when the captain answered every one of his questions and was extremely helpful. Why insult the man when he went out of his way to be helpful to you with answers to all of your questions? I would imagine Oklahoma is like every other state in that the wildlife departments don't make the game laws, just enforce them. If you want to change something, you would need to contact your representative in the state legislature. It's one thing to post about issues in your state. It's entirely another thing to ask those of us who don't live in your state to find answers in your state for you. That comes across as lazy and entitled since you live in Oklahoma and we do not. Unfortunately, many of your posts come across that way--asking the rest of us to research stuff in your state. And bashing the Wildlife department captain who went out of his way to answer your questions and be helpful to you shows a distinct lack of class and manners and is just plain rude.

I agree with this
calling someone a name just cause you dis like what they told you, even when they only told you facts and the truth,
just makes you look bad and lack the skill set to deal with life and how things really work, over , imagined thoughts , all the more so when again, your debating and disliking rules on things the OP doesn't even do , and didn;t even do long before they even knew the rules?

and I will ask one more time to the OP (Todd) AlongCameJones
WHAT ever happened to you deer hunting plans
the seasons have been here, yet I some how gather you have not made any real effort to get started there minus typing some words on a screen on MANY forums!
asking for help, advice, suggestion
and then after getting them,
still; done nothing about hunting deer!

SO< have you gone deer hunting yet this yr??

Have you actually gone to any of the places you were TOLD you could unt and walked them to do any scouting?

OR< have you again, just NOT done anything but start topic's and then never follow up on them?

OR how about this, HAVE you even BOUGHT a hunting lic, or taken a hunters safety course this year yet ??

AlongCameJones 10-30-2021 07:40 AM

This is America. The 1st A protects my right say "thick skull". I don't know about that particular game captain per se , but whoever in this state outlawed air guns for doves and protected the Eurasian Collared Dove doesn't seem to be the sharpest hook in the tackle box. I'm dying to hear about the Captain's reasoning before ringing the telephones of my state legislators regarding my greivances. It may even take a petition and/or a ballot initiative to get this whole hunter's air-gun rights movement rolling. Yes, I want to start rocking the boat. Does YOUR state protect the Eurasian Collared Dove and/or deny any dove species death via air gun?

Existing game laws aside, does anybody here oppose legalizing dove hunting by air gun for any moral or ethical reason? Does anybody here feel the Eurasian Collared Dove should not be protected anywhere on American soil?

This thread is not about me: it's about doves and Crosmans, Daisys, Benjamins, Gamos, Beemans, etc.