Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Airgun Hunting
I'm considering taking up air gunning for doves. >

I'm considering taking up air gunning for doves.

Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

I'm considering taking up air gunning for doves.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb I'm considering taking up air gunning for doves.

That's if the game wardens in Oklahoma even permit it, at least for those pesky Eurasian collareds which are more meaty than mournings. I've sent them an email the other day asking about doves and air guns and I'm still waiting for an answer. Who here hunts dove under a charge of compressed air? Many farmers and landowners should likely grant persmission to take pesky grain-thieving collered doves for your pot (or your Weber) on their properties with relatively safe/quiet pellet or BB guns. Air guns seem to be picking up steam (or compressed air??) in America. They have been popular for a long time in Europe, Britain and South Africa. I'm hoping game regulators in more states and local jurisdictions will eventually get hip to them for harvesting game. They are much safer and quieter in populated areas than firearms after all. Some good 'ole boys who are lifelong powder-burner aficionados, including those in the fish and game departments and state legislatures, might look upon "BB guns" with contempt, however.

Also, is GAMO the best "windsucker" (ie. pneumatic non-firearm) for sitting game birds or small pests? Which model and caliber is best for sitting dove? .177?, .22?

I've just discovered Dr. Russ and he's a cool old cat who loves backyard-friendly weaponry.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 10-27-2021 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

We have a couple pretty serious air gun hunters here.

The new air rifles can do some impressive things for sure.

If you find out it's legal and get to go let us know how it goes.

-Jake
Old 10-28-2021, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

air gun s have been popular in other countries for yrs, mostly due to private citizens there CANNOT own < real guns!~
thus, its not there more popular, its just all they can get
any gun able of killing can be dangerous, and users need to use all the same basic firearms safety steps
and I honestly doubt your going to find any farmers or land owners anymore willing to give access to hunting things with them due to , you JUST using a air gun(over one that fires from gun powder)
and the major reason this is true , is due to liability issue's and law suit worries!
as they don't change from the type of weapon being used at all!

AND I have to ask, if you don't mind being honest??

Have you managed to go hunting at all this yet??

as many things have been in seasons, since you came on , stating you planned to hunt again??
or are you still just starting post on things?
NO offence meant, but you again seem to still stray onto more odd subject matters !

Old 10-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eurasian collared doves are not native and I don't think any state considers them a game bird. So you would likely find there is no season and no limit on shooting them in your state. However, you would want to be certain you are shooting at a Eurasian collared dove since mourning doves and other doves are considered game birds and have seasons and limits. You should be able to check your state's Fish and Game website to find this information out. So, what have you been hunting since you were last on this site?
Old 10-28-2021, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
air gun s have been popular in other countries for yrs, mostly due to private citizens there CANNOT own < real guns!~
thus, its not there more popular, its just all they can get
any gun able of killing can be dangerous, and users need to use all the same basic firearms safety steps
and I honestly doubt your going to find any farmers or land owners anymore willing to give access to hunting things with them due to , you JUST using a air gun(over one that fires from gun powder)
and the major reason this is true , is due to liability issue's and law suit worries!
as they don't change from the type of weapon being used at all!

AND I have to ask, if you don't mind being honest??

Have you managed to go hunting at all this yet??

as many things have been in seasons, since you came on , stating you planned to hunt again??
or are you still just starting post on things?
NO offence meant, but you again seem to still stray onto more odd subject matters !
What do you consider ODD here? It's not about ME. It's about hunting small birds with air guns. I'm interested in doing it because I have no wingshooting skills with a shotgun. I was an expert in the army with a rifle. I'm well-versed in powder rifles already. Air-gunning might be a thrifty and easy way for me to get dove meat if local laws allow. Local farmers and landowners might be hip to allowing me to take these pests from their properties with a safe and quiet means of taking such critters. Air guns are supposedly a big hit with landowners as far as getting permission is concerned.

Dr. Russ here has a suggestion to get into an air gun pest control business (I want no money, just dove meat anyway, Oklahoma farmers are old-school coots anyway and might not be so hip on modern liabilty tort law, this is a conservative Middle America state after all and people here don't like sue-happiness):

I'm really interested in learning more about it. I'm also asking what folks here think about GAMO air rifles for dove hunting. This brand seems to be praised on many YouTube videos and they are not terribly pricey. I need good reliable equipment that doesn't cost what a good used car costs.

Ok, does anybody here have any recommendations or tips for a beginner air gun hunter?

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 10-28-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have not been hunting anything with a gun since my last thread here. I've had other endeavors. Lately, I've seen some exciting videos on YouTube on air gun hunting and now I'm really curious about it. I had not given much thought to air guns up until now. I feel an air gun could open up a lot of hunting opportunity doors for me and others too.

Air gunning doves and pigeons seems very popular in South Africa and Europe now for pest control. Is this sport picking up steam with North American hunters now?? I've tried posting this sort of thing in Oklahoma state-specific hunting forums but I can't seem to get any serious answers there as most people there seem to not be interested in hunting via an air gun. I gather that serious air gun hunting has not yet caught on full speed in some parts of America. Perhaps game laws have not yet caught up with the air gun in certain areas as well. Oklahoma is rather slow and old-fashioned in culture.

Videos like this give me the curiosity (the fat young South African chap in the video has an irritating boyish voice but seems to be an ace with an air gun):

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 10-28-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
What do you consider ODD here? ?
What I mean about odd is simple
YOU are ODD?
no offence meant

But you joined a hunting forum,. and have YET to do any hunting
ALL you do is start threads about things your CONSIDERING
and you seem to always be considering things you know nothing really about and have done little actual effort in finding out things on your own, minus ASKING folks on forms,
you DON"T actually DO anything your CONSIDERING

its like thinking out loud to strangers
then you get feed back which you seem to do nothing really with
as you DON"T follow up on the things you bring up

YOUR CONSIDERING
always based off videos and info, GOD know'
s where you got it
as most of it is wrong or very im accurate!

AGAIN< FOLKS that OWN land are NO mroe likely to let huynters on there property with air guns as to shotgun, BOTH have about teh same range, one is maybe mroe quietier, but ??
the issue land ownersna dI am one and know hundreds
is most don;'t want the liability of letting someone on there land, in fear os law suits and other issuye's luiek thinsg getting stolen ir damged
OR< well, many BUY there land so THEY can hunt and have for family!

using an AIR gun doesn';t change any of these reasons land owners DON"T let folks on there land

AS IF you actually went and ASKED some land owners over THINKING or CONSIDERING things, or watching videos

you would know this!

NEXT< you start a topic on CONSIDERING HUNTING DOVES WITH AIR RIFLES

yet you seem to have done ZERO real effort find out if you can even legally do so!

you seem to want to ASK a question HERE or other forums your on and expect others top do the work for you to find things out, rather than you doing anything

and its like wasting others time, as again, the info you get you DON"T really do anything with
minus type more things on a screen

you have lots of excuses for WHY you DON"T follow up or actually do anything
which , just makes you again look like a spammer, or someone just wanting to waste others time(if I didn;t have time to waste I wouldnt; reply here, but sadly I have time to kill some days)

you bring up things of the PASTt as if that means something, or makes you something your NOT NOW!
an expert in the army?? tens of thousands get that, it doesn't make you an expert for LIFE< ,(and NO offence meant to those in the military that got that )
its a skill, don;'t use it you loose it
so mentioning something from decades ago, is rather moot in gaining anyone respect of you having any REAL skills
I was a shooting instructor for yrs and a competitive shooter, and trust me, I know MANY military/law enforcement folks that couldn;t hit the broad side of a barn !
so titles don't make you an expert shooter, nor does having done something YEARS AGO~!

as again, what you HAD yrs ago, doesn't mean you still have NOW, aging isn;'t always very kind to skills we once had and this is a FACT!

you mention you were an expert marksmen in the Army, and know< GUNS THAT USE POWDER, YET , AGAIN, no wing shooting experience< YET you stated you heave and have had many shotguns over the yrs,
but they must have all been either safe queens, of sorts, or well, many seem to have been stolen(guns that is)

HOW Do you think ANYONE gets wingshooting experience
do you THINK< they watch YUOPTUBE videos, or sit around and CONSIDER IT!

NOPE< to get experience , you have to DO things
tons of ways to get it, most ALL first time shooters start some where, but the thing is, they actually DO IT< and with practice and time and effort(if they wish too), they get better and before long they actually have wing shooting experience!

but YOU on the other hand,
you DON"T seem do anything but CONSIDER THINGS,
which many are very ODD in the way you conciser them as to main stream ways!
is what makes things ODD when you post

I again reply cause I have time to kill and well, also due to MAYBE in a very RARE possibility, you MAY actually do something with info you get and get out there and actually DO something you bring up, an come back with some follow up s, on how things when when you did
not trying to beat you up, here, but being honest and straight forward with you

maybe its time you STOPPED considering things and actually DID some
and before considering and getting idea's
find out first if even legally possible, as if something is ILLEGAL< and you consider it and waste time considering it, and asking others about how to ?? or there thoughts
all your doing is wasting time
and that is rather ODD way to be productive member on a forum!

and one more
maybe if you want feedback or help or ?? ona subject
maybe ask a question and not post a THOUGHT you have

like, instead of considering air gun hunting

ask simply, any one here hunt with and air gun
and then wait for a reply, and or ask other like direct questions
like, what air rifle do you LIEK to hunt with, , and so on

there questions, , and questions can be answer

THOUGHTS and things YOUR considering
are NOT questions!
there very ODD posts

Old 10-28-2021, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Who HERE hunts dove in America with air guns?
What gun do you like to use for that purpose?
Is the likes of a GAMO Swarm Fusion 10XGEN2 a good gun for that purpose?
Should I get a .177 or .22 for dove?

Easy peazy.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Who HERE hunts dove in America with air guns?
Probably darn few.

The reason is something you're overlooking: if you have permission to hunt some place, it almost inevitably means normal firearms are good to go. No one's worried about noise from hunters, and shotshells work in places with limited ranges.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I don't consider AIR GUNS "firearms". There's no FIRE (or SMOKE) in them to speak of. I call them WINDSUCKERS because whenever people can't smoke, they are said to be "sucking wind". Air guns, like the lungs of non-smokers, only take in clean air. Air guns actually "exhale" cleaner than people do because there is zero carbon monoxide emissions when an air gun is shot. Air guns discharge their projectiles as cleanly as a bow discharges an arrow. Being free of toxic emissions makes air guns ideal for long sessions of indoor shooting. Their low noise also helps make them be even more environmentally friendly.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 10-29-2021 at 06:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.