Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

whats best airgun ?

Old 10-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Spike

Default whats best airgun ?

looking to buy one ?

Old 10-23-2020, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

It would help if people knew what your intended purpose was for said airgun. Are you looking for a full size air gun rifle, a bullpup design or a pistol? PCP, springer (spring piston), CO2, multi-pump pneumatic, single stroke pneumatic or maybe just a Red Ryder? Hunting? If so, just birds, small game, medium or large game? Target practice? What kind of distance? Are you looking to compete like the Extreme Bench Rest down in Arizona? Are you looking for something backyard friendly? I.e., very quiet? I realize I just unloaded a lot of questions on you but your answers to any and all of these questions makes a difference as to what might be the best air gun for your intended purposes. Fair warning though. Air guns can be addictive and, like any other shooting hobby, get pretty expensive.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like an expensive new hobby.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:12 PM
Spike

If the OP doesn't return for your answer I would ask the same question. What airgun (rifle) would you use for raccoons it the garden? Range within 30-50 yrds. Anything out there under $300?
Old 11-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm by no means an airgun expert, mine shoots an 8 grn pellet at around 825 fps which works great for Rats. Gamo (Cabelea's) makes a .117 or .22 with a scope that is around 1300 fps ( a little faster than the speed of sound). which would likely get the job done out to 30 yards or so, The downside is a pellet will go through my wooden fence and what happens after that is anybody's guess, in other words, they are nearly as dangerous as a regular .22 rifle.
I live trap raiding Raccoons and shoot them in the back of the head, in the trap, with my pellet pistol,
Check on the season for Raccoons, you don't want to be caught hunting any seasonal game out of season and without a hunting license. It's all fun and games until your nosey neighbor calls the Cops and you have to start producing the proper paperwork. In most places trapping problem animals is legal, but the fine print changes from local to local. Shooting varmints is all about location and in many places a pellet rifle is considered a firearm. Nobody wants a firearms violation on their record.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

The normal recommended minimums for raccoon would be something in a .22 or .25 airgun with at least 25 FPE. Some people would tell you 35 FPE but at that power level, you're getting into PCP's and above your $300 limit. For under $300, you could look at a Benjamin Trail NP in .25 caliber. It's a single shot, gas piston, single cock airgun that takes 47 #'s of cocking effort. You'd be a little below what's recommended for chest shots but right there for head shots. Preferably in the ear. Hopefully this helps narrow it down for you.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:42 PM
Spike

Hatsan 125 22 cal is what I have and it can definitely handle racoons. Usually sold between $240-$300. Great breakbarrel airgun.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:33 AM
Spike

My current pellet rifle is a Crosman TR177. If i remember correctly it's a $125 Walmart POS. This thing couldn't hit the earth if it was buried 10 feet under.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Break barrel airguns have come a long ways and have more power than they used to. Since your specific situation is for raccoons only in a nearby garden, investing in a PCP would increase the cost by around $200 over that break barrel and you wouldn't get full use of it. Now if you were planning on hunting more critters with an airgun, that could be a different story. Also, consider shooting IdahoRon a PM. He uses an Air arms TX200 in 22 caliber to devastating effect upon his groundhog population in Idaho. If you look back through this sub forum, you'll see impressive photos of some of the huge hogs he's killed. That TX200 costs more than your budget and his scope likely costs more than his gun but it is a very impressive rig. From his posts, you can really see what is possible with a break barrel airgun and learn more about how an airgun kills and why. Plus cool pictures of course.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Spike

shootgun!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.