HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Airgun Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting-163/)
-   -   I hunted this chuck for over a year, I got him. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting/420559-i-hunted-chuck-over-year-i-got-him.html)

idahoron 03-12-2019 06:21 AM

I hunted this chuck for over a year, I got him.

I saw a chuck at a neighbors farm that was real light colored, I called him the Grizzle Chuck. I had permission to hunt the other side of the fence but not on the farm he was on. I got permission this year and yesterday I went after him.
I started out hunting the barn and shot four in the barn.

The temperature warmed up a bit and I headed to the spot where he hung out.

I sat there for almost two hours. I passed on some smaller chucks that came out. I didn't want to spook the grizzle chuck.
When he came out he just poked his head above the dirt at 35 yards. I set the come up on the tactical scope and sent it. At the shot I knew it was a good hit but a lot of the time they do a death twitch and fall back down the hole. I don't reach in to try to get them out.
I waited and watched the hole for a few minutes to make sure he didn't come back up. I walked to the hole and there he was. My shoe size is 13" I didn't get to weigh him but he was a old bull. I put another big one up against him to show color and size.

CalHunter 03-12-2019 07:34 AM

That looks like some stone-age rock chuck Ron. He's huge!!!!

idahoron 03-12-2019 07:59 AM

I was a little surprised at his size. They just came out of hibernation. He has beefed up quick.

bronko22000 03-16-2019 08:54 AM

Do you eat them Ron? Just wondering. They look a lot like our groundhog which people say is pretty good. Especially when cooked in spaghetti sauce. I never had any personally.

garypatrick1999 03-16-2019 12:35 PM

Reported. You are a sick person for doing that to a groundhog

You have Issus to hunt.

And you sir are now blocked.

Goodbye.

-Jake

Bocajnala 03-16-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4353504)
Do you eat them Ron? Just wondering. They look a lot like our groundhog which people say is pretty good. Especially when cooked in spaghetti sauce. I never had any personally.

Bronk, I've tried it several times. And haven't had any that was 'good'

Although to be fair.... When I try new things I like to taste the meat and don't try to cover the texture or flavor with sauces and such.

The best of the three that I've cooked was a small young male shot in early summer, or maybe late spring.

My grandfather practically lived on these growing up in West Virginia. He would shoot them almost daily on his way home from school. And they often survived on groundhogs, squirrel, rabbit, muskrat, and other such critters.

He remembers those times fondly. But I'm guessing if I offered him a nice steak or a groundhog I know which he would choose.

-Jake

captdennis 04-11-2019 03:17 AM

Good job! Congrats!

targetchaser 07-30-2019 05:45 AM

Whoa!

in last month, I got one too. they are heavy by the way.

carlosgutierrez 08-20-2019 10:11 AM

amazing, they are so big. congrats!!

Ridge Runner 09-29-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4353516)
Bronk, I've tried it several times. And haven't had any that was 'good'

Although to be fair.... When I try new things I like to taste the meat and don't try to cover the texture or flavor with sauces and such.

The best of the three that I've cooked was a small young male shot in early summer, or maybe late spring.

My grandfather practically lived on these growing up in West Virginia. He would shoot them almost daily on his way home from school. And they often survived on groundhogs, squirrel, rabbit, muskrat, and other such critters.

He remembers those times fondly. But I'm guessing if I offered him a nice steak or a groundhog I know which he would choose.

-Jake

When I was coming up in wv, in the summer you had choices of meat with meals, it was salt pork that you ate all winter, eels, whatever fish you caught, or groundhog, groundhog isn't bad if the fish don't bite!
RR

gemihur 11-07-2019 02:02 PM

You hear about the Hog hunting craze but this is a classic.
Great shooting and utilizing your hunting skills.
Fine trophies!
Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy

NoJuan 12-02-2019 09:15 AM

Woow. I didn't knew they could be that big!

Armaan 12-10-2019 08:08 AM

Wow, It is quite big.. I hunted myself a while ago .. it was a good experience