Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Airgun Hunting
I hunted this chuck for over a year, I got him. >

I hunted this chuck for over a year, I got him.

Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

I hunted this chuck for over a year, I got him.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I hunted this chuck for over a year, I got him.

I saw a chuck at a neighbors farm that was real light colored, I called him the Grizzle Chuck. I had permission to hunt the other side of the fence but not on the farm he was on. I got permission this year and yesterday I went after him.
I started out hunting the barn and shot four in the barn.

The temperature warmed up a bit and I headed to the spot where he hung out.

I sat there for almost two hours. I passed on some smaller chucks that came out. I didn't want to spook the grizzle chuck.
When he came out he just poked his head above the dirt at 35 yards. I set the come up on the tactical scope and sent it. At the shot I knew it was a good hit but a lot of the time they do a death twitch and fall back down the hole. I don't reach in to try to get them out.
I waited and watched the hole for a few minutes to make sure he didn't come back up. I walked to the hole and there he was. My shoe size is 13" I didn't get to weigh him but he was a old bull. I put another big one up against him to show color and size.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

That looks like some stone-age rock chuck Ron. He's huge!!!!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was a little surprised at his size. They just came out of hibernation. He has beefed up quick.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you eat them Ron? Just wondering. They look a lot like our groundhog which people say is pretty good. Especially when cooked in spaghetti sauce. I never had any personally.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Banned

Default Reported. You are a sick person for doing that to a groundhog

You have Issus to hunt.

And you sir are now blocked.

Goodbye.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 03-16-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Do you eat them Ron? Just wondering. They look a lot like our groundhog which people say is pretty good. Especially when cooked in spaghetti sauce. I never had any personally.

Bronk, I've tried it several times. And haven't had any that was 'good'

Although to be fair.... When I try new things I like to taste the meat and don't try to cover the texture or flavor with sauces and such.

The best of the three that I've cooked was a small young male shot in early summer, or maybe late spring.

My grandfather practically lived on these growing up in West Virginia. He would shoot them almost daily on his way home from school. And they often survived on groundhogs, squirrel, rabbit, muskrat, and other such critters.

He remembers those times fondly. But I'm guessing if I offered him a nice steak or a groundhog I know which he would choose.

-Jake
Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 AM
Spike

Good job! Congrats!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 AM
Spike

Talking Whoa!

in last month, I got one too. they are heavy by the way.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Spike

amazing, they are so big. congrats!!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Bronk, I've tried it several times. And haven't had any that was 'good'

Although to be fair.... When I try new things I like to taste the meat and don't try to cover the texture or flavor with sauces and such.

The best of the three that I've cooked was a small young male shot in early summer, or maybe late spring.

My grandfather practically lived on these growing up in West Virginia. He would shoot them almost daily on his way home from school. And they often survived on groundhogs, squirrel, rabbit, muskrat, and other such critters.

He remembers those times fondly. But I'm guessing if I offered him a nice steak or a groundhog I know which he would choose.

-Jake
When I was coming up in wv, in the summer you had choices of meat with meals, it was salt pork that you ate all winter, eels, whatever fish you caught, or groundhog, groundhog isn't bad if the fish don't bite!
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.