Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

Great for Small Game

Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Spike

Default Great for Small Game

Air guns that exceed 1000 fps are great for small game hunting. But there are still a few that shoot less than that but are larger calibers which in my opinion is even better. When it comes to any hunting but certainly air gun it is not about Fps rather the punch and hurt it puts on the animal. I have personally took multiple small game animals with my Gamo air rifle which is chambered in .177 but shoots 1300 fps. These kind of guns can be used to hunt small game animals such as, rabbits, squirrel, dove, starling etc. But if we look ahead of the small calibers like .177 or .25 and we look at the larger .30 and .50 caliber airguns those can be used to kill hogs, deer, even large predators.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of guys get hung up on speed. They buy the fastest gun they can find and then miss everything that they shoot at. My rifle is spitting out 14 gr pellets at 664 FPS. But I can put them into the eye of a starling at 30 yards. I have killed marmots up to 14 pounds with that rifle. Accuracy is where its at. If you have an accurate rifle you have a hunting gun. A fast miss is still just a miss.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

You can't miss fast enough.

1,300fps is beating allot of .22lr velocities

-Jake
Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I Purchased a Benjamin NP2 Steel Eagle .22 cal. Its fairly accurate but it is darn near as loud as a .22 LR! They say the more you shoot them the more accurate they get. They sure are cheap enough to shoot and this one hits almost as hard as a .22 lr high velocity. About the same as a std velocity .22 LR
Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pewpewgod
Air guns that exceed 1000 fps are great for small game hunting. But there are still a few that shoot less than that but are larger calibers which in my opinion is even better. When it comes to any hunting but certainly air gun it is not about Fps rather the punch and hurt it puts on the animal. I have personally took multiple small game animals with my Gamo air rifle which is chambered in .177 but shoots 1300 fps. These kind of guns can be used to hunt small game animals such as, rabbits, squirrel, dove, starling etc. But if we look ahead of the small calibers like .177 or .25 and we look at the larger .30 and .50 caliber airguns those can be used to kill hogs, deer, even large predators.
Your statements appear to be at odds. Most airguns shooting 1300 FPS are shooting very light pellets (often alloy pellets) that lose speed and power quickly.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, this is where some of the older pump up's have an advantage. I have both, a Sheridan Blue and Silver Streak in 20 cal.. The maximum pumps are 8 and I think it's rated at 800 fps. I don't know if mine shoot that fast or not but I've learned that they are more accurate at 6 pumps with the Benjamin domed pellets and still shoot plenty hard enough to kill a squirrel or a rabbit. I suspect a higher quality pellet may be just as accurate at a higher velocity. With a pump up, you can tune them somewhat by testing at different velocities.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:18 PM
Banned

Spammer. Gone.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 02-27-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:21 AM
Spike

Airguns are great for pest control where you cant use firearms