HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Airgun Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting-163/)
-   -   Can I shoot these backyard pigeons? How to dispose of them? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting/419270-can-i-shoot-these-backyard-pigeons-how-dispose-them.html)

daisy1610 10-03-2018 01:22 PM

Can I shoot these backyard pigeons? How to dispose of them?

hey everyone, I’m new here, I live in Illinois in a suburb about 40 minutes from Chicago. I’ve been noticing some pigeons in my back yard and I know these are nuance birds and are damaging. I was wondering if I could take them out with my daisy? And if so, how should I dispose of the body’s? Thank you.

mrbb 10-03-2018 02:14 PM

well several questions would have to be answered, like is is legal to discharge a AIR gun in your zoning /area!
next would be what are the legal hunting rules on shooting pigeons, it varies from state to state, so you need to check with your states game dept, they would also then be able to tell you how to dispose of them too, but typically you cannot just kill anything for no real reason, and can get some serious fines for doing so if NOT legal, as well as again discharging a air rifle in a area where its illegal to do so!

daisy1610 10-03-2018 02:33 PM

I found this

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4343309)
well several questions would have to be answered, like is is legal to discharge a AIR gun in your zoning /area!
next would be what are the legal hunting rules on shooting pigeons, it varies from state to state, so you need to check with your states game dept, they would also then be able to tell you how to dispose of them too, but typically you cannot just kill anything for no real reason, and can get some serious fines for doing so if NOT legal, as well as again discharging a air rifle in a area where its illegal to do so!

well I found this, that’s what led me to believe it would be okay! Please correct me if I’m wrong. Might have to find a number I could call.

daisy1610 10-03-2018 02:36 PM

Picture

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by daisy1610 (Post 4343311)

well I found this, that’s what led me to believe it would be okay! Please correct me if I’m wrong. Might have to find a number I could call.

—————————————————————

MudderChuck 10-03-2018 11:49 PM

Look behind your target, you are responsible for anything that comes out of the barrel. I doubt you are going to bring down a Pigeon with a Daisy. Breast shot maybe, head shot maybe.

And something else to remember, somebody always sees what you are doing, as a rule. Right or wrong, if the neighborhood busybody sees you, the man is going to be knocking on your door. Most places it is illegal to use a BB or a pellet gun even if they are classified as a nuisance.

Make sure you know the difference between a wild pigeon and a city pigeon. Wild Pigeons have seasons and some are year round protected.

I have one two word answer "Funnel trap". The thing about a funnel trap is when you get one bird in there it draws the other birds in. I make mine simply, a ground level funnel so they can walk in, emptying into a larger enclosure. It doesn't have to look pretty it just has to work. Chicken wire and cable ties. Cracked Corn and/or/or both old hard bread as bait.

flags 10-05-2018 06:22 AM

What do the laws in your area say about discharge of firearms or air rifles? In some areas it is no issue but in others it is. Also those things are tasty! Pull the breasts out and put them on the grill. I shoot pigeons at a couple of different places as wing shooting practice and they all end up on the grill.

MudderChuck 10-05-2018 11:59 AM

Grilled Pigeon is really good, I make a glaze with Liquore Galliano and melted Butter.

JungleShooter 12-28-2020 08:56 AM

Grilling and eating it — that's certainly the best way to dispose of a pigeon —
IF IT IS NOT A FERAL PIGEON —
raised on cr@8 picked up from the street,
riddled with deseases and parasites.

Those don't go on the grill....
A non-transparent double plastic bag is often a good start. It goes where the other plastic bags go.... At least where I live.
But you're in Chicago — I don't know how much they are into recycling and stuff.... Better find that out first.... 🤣

Matthias

Oldtimr 12-28-2020 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by daisy1610 (Post 4343312)

—————————————————————

Pigeons are not protect under federal law and no state law that I know of, they are not native to the US, they are European Rock doves that have been imported to the US for variou reasons and have gotten free and turned feral. However, many municipalities have ordinances that prohibit the discharge of firearms or pellet or BB guns within their boundaries. In PA it is illegal to shoot a pellet or BB gun in such a manner that the projectile can od does leave the property the gun is fired on.

vapahunter 01-27-2021 12:08 PM

Unless you check with your local authorities nothing that is said here will protect you if you are cited for breaking a local law or ordinance. So find out who the authority on yur issue is and heck with them as laws on gun use and taking animals will different from city to city. Good Luck.