HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Airgun Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting-163/)
-   -   Frog hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting/415966-frog-hunting.html)

Danny77 10-19-2017 09:00 PM

Frog hunting

Hi I am 15 years old and I just bought a BB gun (Smith and Wesson M&P40 0.177 Calibre air pistol) and I have always wanted to try frog legs so I will soon go out on a hunt near a river to find some frogs to shoot and was wondering if my gun would be capable of killing a frog first shot without tormenting the animal it is a 480 fps 0.177 Calibre air pistol

riverhawk 11-02-2017 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Danny77 (Post 4318728)
Hi I am 15 years old and I just bought a BB gun (Smith and Wesson M&P40 0.177 Calibre air pistol) and I have always wanted to try frog legs so I will soon go out on a hunt near a river to find some frogs to shoot and was wondering if my gun would be capable of killing a frog first shot without tormenting the animal it is a 480 fps 0.177 Calibre air pistol

Sure, if you hold the gun to the frog's head...
I'm serious. From a range of 1-2 yards with a headshot (which is extremely unlikely to happen unless you use a dot sight/scope, but if you miss you'll probably clean-miss) you will kill the frog. However, from any longer range than that, THIS IS NOT EFFECTIVE!!!!!!! This is a plinking airgun.
However: this would be very well suited as a quick euthanasia method for frogs and maybe fish. If you catch a frog by gigging, netting, or simply grabbing it, hold it firmly, hold the end of the barrel to its head (you may want to leave a few millimeters of space between the end and the frog's head) and shoot. At that distance, yes, the pellet will puncture the frog's skull and that will be one dead frog. With fish, you can hold the fish tightly and do this to it. If the fish is large, shoot it in the eye to be safe, as it may have a thick skull that the pellet cannot completely penetrate.

SavvyJack 03-04-2018 02:09 PM

I started shooting frogs when I was 8.....first time I realized when ya shot something, not always could you see the hole!!!

Bryan H. 03-12-2018 11:52 PM

A bb gun can kill a frog, but you would have to hit it perfectly in the brain, i would bet smaller than a pea if you even figure out exactly where it is at. I have seen them hop off after a solid hit with a daisy 880. An airgun will work, but I use a .25 cal magnum breakbarrel. Probably overkill, it makes a mess, but all you ever eat are the legs, so it works.

I usually go for a headshot still. Use an airgun with good power and shoot in the "head".

Derick Knight 04-10-2018 05:21 AM

I do not know, young man, whether to start hunting with frogs. Then you can track the mice in the field.

Nesh999 04-14-2018 02:31 PM

A "frog gig" (spear) is good, but here's a different way that a cousin taught me about 40 years ago (I was eight at the time, lest ye think I'm 102 years old :lol:):

Get a basic fishing pole and put a small panfish hook on the end of the line, nothing else.

"Bait" the hook with a small piece of red yarn, about 1.5-2 inches long. Yep, plain old red yarn... just set it on the point of the hook and let it dangle.

Keep it airborne and dry, and just dangle it in front of the frog's nose, and he will definitely hit the hook. Reel him in, repeat.

Last but not least, the state has laws about taking reptiles, so make sure it's legal to frog hunt in your area, and more importantly, make sure the above method I suggested is legal before you try it... nobody cared 40 years ago, maybe they do now.

Animeskin 06-09-2018 10:48 AM

Yes, you can kill a frog with a BB gun but you have to hit the right spot.

buckhunter2005 07-17-2018 06:17 PM

Yes for sure!

Yes you can. I've killed countless frogs with a bb gun with 320 fps with iron sights. It's not that hard with enough practice. I take all my shots less then 10 yards though for frogs with that particular bb gun I usually us. Slingshot works great too btw aand it's fun and rewarding!

Bowhunter88 09-14-2018 06:30 AM

I don't feel this is the best way to start hunting or practice... My recommendation is to check, when is pheasant youth hunting this year and try it out. Believe me, you will enjoy the hunt way more, than frog hunting....

Egyptian_sniper 04-16-2019 07:55 AM

In Egypt we can get frog by free hand.