Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

First backyard hunt

Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Spike

Default First backyard hunt

Hello,

One of my friends asked me to control the rabbit population in their backyard.
I've never done this before and I've never shot an animal before as I'm the first in my family who's interested in hunting.

I do regularly watch Youtube videos of people pest controlling small game like rabbits and pigeons (and I've learned a lot from these) and videos on how to shoot accurately to be as humane as possible.

Could you fellow forum-users help me by giving me tips and useful information on getting started?

Thank you very much in advance

Hatsan97
Old 03-30-2017, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

First tip---Check with all the authorities to make sure it would even be legal to do what you're talking about. You may not even be allowed to shoot an air rifle if that friend's property is within city limits in a lot of places. If it's allowed, you very well may also need to have a legal hunting license through the state G&F, etc.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
First tip---Check with all the authorities to make sure it would even be legal to do what you're talking about. You may not even be allowed to shoot an air rifle if that friend's property is within city limits in a lot of places. If it's allowed, you very well may also need to have a legal hunting license through the state G&F, etc.
Thanks, but I am allowed to shoot an air rifle on the property as it is a farm and away from any city by at least 20 miles.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

In most states (we don't know what state you're in), you are required to have a hunting license to kill/hunt any animal. Also, most Fish and Game departments can seize your firearm/airgun, equipment and vehicle used to hunt an animal illegally. OT gave you some very good advice. P.S., he used to be in the business so he knows what he's talking about.

Update: Your IP address looks like you're in the Netherlands. I don't think either one of us have any idea about Netherlands game laws.

So going back to your first question of using an airgun, you'd probably want a .22 or .25 caliber for airgun hunting. A PCP would be ideal but again, I don't have any idea what the laws are like in the Netherlands.

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-31-2017 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Update on location.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, can't claim to know any laws from the Netherlands.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

I know. What we're used to in the US might be totally different from over there.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Nope, can't claim to know any laws from the Netherlands.
First time I've been called OT on here by Cal even though I'm an OT just like you, LOL!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look on the internet for a jachtseizoenen (hunting season list) anything on the list and you need a license.

Rodents like Rats and Mice are usually Freiwild (free hunting). If a hunter has the hunting rights, he is the one who determines whether you can bring a firearm onto the lease. Rabbits aren't Freiwild. Pigeons may be, but seriously, the types of pigeon can be hard for experts to determine. Wild pigeon and feral domesticated pigeons interbreed.

Hunting Rats and Gophers can be great fun, a good place to start. But a word of advice, don't shoot anything you aren't sure of, the penalties are just to darned high. Most European countries take poaching very seriously and the penalties can be really strict.

Pigeons nesting in the boerderij (barnyard) may be freiwild, but you had better ask first.

You may also want to check on the regulations for a gun controlekaart (firearms registration card).

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-04-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Spike

Don't think either one of us have any idea about Netherlands game laws.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Flora and Fauna Act is the main hunting legislation for the Netherlands since april 1, 2002. According to this Act only 6 species are designated as ‘game’ (1protected and 5 huntable). These species are hare, mallard, pheasant, pigeon and rabbit. The new Act makes a difference between hunting (= wise use of the 5 game species) ,management (i.e. ungulates) and crop damage control. For management and crop damage control, separate licenses, issued by the provincial government are necessary.

Species Open seasons
Hare (lepus capensis) 15/10 – 31/12
Pheasant (phasianus colchicus) (female) 15/10 – 31/12
Pheasant (male) 15/10 – 31/01
Mallard (anas platyrhynchos) 15/08 – 31/01
Wood pigeon (columba palumbus) 15/10 – 31/01
Rabbit (oryctolagus cuniculus) 15/08 – 31/01

The licence is mandatory and has to be renewed annually. Each year
approximately 30.000 licences are issued. This licence will be granted if the applicant:
- is 18 years of age
- has an insurance voucher (covering third party risk for a minimum of 907.560,43 euro)
- has passed an approved hunting examination (approved are the exams of the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and Luxemburg)
- is able to prove that he has an opportunity to hunt in the Netherlands. Hunting grounds must consist of an adjoining area of at least 40 ha., have a width of at least 300 meter and it must be possible to describe a circle with a radius of at least 150 meter in this area. In case of improper conduct it is possible to revoke the licence by judicial judgement. The right to hunt is automatically lost if the hunting licence has expired. In the Netherlands, hunters have a general obligation to maintain or create a reasonable stock of game. There are no bag limits.

The hunting rights belong to the landowner, who can let these rights for a period of 6 to 12 years. As far as territorial waters and State land are concerned, the hunting right also belongs to the owner (Ministry of Finance or Ministry of Agriculture, Nature Management and Fisheries), who can let out these rights (lease). Hunting territories must satisfy the following criteria’s: Hunting grounds must consist of an adjoining area of at least 40 ha., have a width of at least 300 meter and it must be possible to describe a circle with a radius of at least 150 meter in this area.

There are no areas in which hunting is freely available to everyone. Commercial hunting is prohibited in the Netherlands.

The laws are the same for most of northern Europe, with some slight and regional differences.

Hunting licenses here typically take 18 months of school and hours equivalent to a A.A. degree.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-29-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.