HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Airgun Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting-163/)
-   -   Legal Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/airgun-hunting/398948-legal-hunting.html)

super_hunt54 04-22-2015 08:05 PM

Legal Hunting

I know there are a few states now that allow small game hunting as well as Big Game with certain caliber and power restrictions. Just how many states have finally caught up to air gun technology I have no idea. Doing a brief google search I only found a 4 or 5 states that certainly allow at least small game to be taken with them. I do remember fondly my Red Ryder from when I was 4 or 5. That little old "cocker" spring loaded BB gun shot a butt load of black birds off the power line :) Even dropped a few squirrels with it till Paps finally turned me loose with my .22 :) Guess he figured if I could "eye shoot" a black bird with a Red Ryder I'd be just fine with my .22.

I've seen a few video's of Hog Hunting with the "Big Bore" air guns that I believe are filled with a tire pump or compressor? Wouldn't mind finding out a little more about these. Like are they rifled? How's the accuracy if they aren't? I do know if you pass a certain speed, with the lighter pellets, they will tumble. What kind of projectile are they using? I guess several questions but we can start with these,

1) Legal states to use air rifles
2) Rifled or smooth bore (The large caliber. I know the .177 are smooth bore)
3) Types of projectiles I.E. configuration.

CalHunter 04-22-2015 09:22 PM

California allows airgun hunting for turkeys with .177 caliber or larger. Allowing airguns is supposed to enable hunters to hunt turkeys in urban areas that don't allow firearms hunting. California also allows airguns for all resident small game.

flags 04-23-2015 03:54 AM

CO allows air guns for small game. I've shot cottontails, snowshoes, fox squirrels and blue grouse with them. I'm not aware of them allowing air guns for bigger game though.

bronko22000 04-28-2015 04:48 PM

Just yesterday I sent an email to the PA Game Commission telling them that in the 50 years that I have been hunting the regulation regarding air guns has not been changed. I continued to tell them that air gun technology has dramatically improved and are definitely a viable option for small game. I asked if they would bring it to the board for consideration. Limits can be set regarding projectile diameter and velocity same as for muzzleloaders, rifles and draw weight and cutting diameter of archery equipment. We will see what the outcome is.

super_hunt54 04-28-2015 11:55 PM

Good luck with that Bronko. In the few dealings I had with Pa's Game Commission, I learned one undeniable fact, they are idiots. Plain and simple. Keeping old regs on the books such as manual operation firearms, no hunting on Sunday, WAY too many Doe tags allotted in some areas while WAY too few allotted in others. I swear, for years they must have had 3 drunken monkeys calculating Deer herd numbers in the Northern counties. I lived in South Central Pa for close to 10 years. Grantville, Hershey area. They actually did a fair job of calculating there. But boy did they drop the ball up north.

bronko22000 04-29-2015 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4195809)
Good luck with that Bronko. In the few dealings I had with Pa's Game Commission, I learned one undeniable fact, they are idiots. Plain and simple. Keeping old regs on the books such as manual operation firearms, no hunting on Sunday, WAY too many Doe tags allotted in some areas while WAY too few allotted in others. I swear, for years they must have had 3 drunken monkeys calculating Deer herd numbers in the Northern counties. I lived in South Central Pa for close to 10 years. Grantville, Hershey area. They actually did a fair job of calculating there. But boy did they drop the ball up north.

You don't need to tell me. We have a cabin in Clinton county right in the heart of one of their DMAP areas. I don't know why there is a DMAP area on state forest land!? We go up there mostly for bear. But once they started the slaughter of the deer herd we hadn't seen a deer in about 5 years (we got several bear). They are finally starting to come back now that the hunters and not the PGC got smart.

gregorydean 04-29-2015 08:09 PM

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."
great quote!!!

Topgun 3006 04-30-2015 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by gregorydean (Post 4195963)
"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."
great quote!!!

So are you a God fearing hunter or just another Spammer?

CalHunter 05-02-2015 06:13 PM

I'm curious also.

bronko22000 05-03-2015 09:57 AM

Must have been a spammer