HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PSE 60-70# bow, 87# pull?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 AM
KBacon
Typical Buck

Default RE: PSE 60-70# bow, 87# pull?

It very well could have strong limbs on it.. But I do bet that the cable/string lengths are also out of whack a bit. Back in the early 90s Fast Flight was the string material of choice.. and it was well known for it's stretching abilities.. Since you are the 3rd owner... you don't know if the string has ever been replaced... so it could be a few inches longer than spec. Also back then alot of bows still used steel cables.. and were just starting to switch over to fiber cables. The steel cables would not stretch (no timing issues).. and the string would.. in essence this is like twisting the cables on the bow.. cables are short (not stretched) and the string is long (stretched) equals higher poundage. Also the draw length was commonly adjusted by different slot/pegs on the cam.. which would effectively shorten or lengthen the string. Not to mention the long and short stringing a bow was a common practice of taking a bow that you had in stock and making it fit a customer that did not fit in the range of that bow.

I did own a 1990ish Pearson Spoiler back in those days... and this was my fist higher poundage bow... it was a 55-70# model... I started w/ it at around 50#.. and over the winter I shot every day.. and would crank it up a little at a time.. trying to build myself up. Well winter ended and I had been shooting the bow w/ it completely maxed out. Took it to the shop to get some new arrows.. and got the weight of the bow check to make sure it was up to 70#... the owner placed it on the scale and had to get assistance to pull it down.. 86#.... the bow blew up a week later.. the limb bolts pulled out of the magnesium riser... had them helicoiled and sold the bow.