HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Patterning target - Your opinions please?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:05 AM
benhuntin

Default RE: Patterning target - Your opinions please?

ORIGINAL: KitsapCaller

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything but I have to side with wooddust on this subject. I don't think most shots are going to occur at 40 yds. That is nearly half the distance of a football field! And remember it doesn't take 100 pellets in a ten inch circle to kill a turkey. Many turkeys have been killed with only a handful of pellets to the head.
I don't think most shots are going to occur at 40 yds.
What is your maximum range going to be? Theres nothing wrong with limiting your shots to 30 yards but I guarentee you will have many birds hanging up at the 40 yard mark. Especially in more open areas such as fields. I bring my birds in as close as possible most of the time but when they hangup at 40 yards , (Which is alot) I like the thought of a clean kill at 40 yards. Its all a personal preference. Just know what your gun will do at 20, 30
and 40 yards so you will know your maximum effective range in case that bird doesnt quite make it to the 30 yard line.