HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Poaching Okay???
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 04:25 PM
fastfire

Default RE: Is Poaching Okay???

ORIGINAL: Rwalter63

However with all that said I look at the few Amish people who I have met that live not to far from where my property is. (not my house I live in a suburb of Buffalo. I am fortunate enough to own a few acres bordering state land in WNY that I hunt on near a large Amish community.) The Amish live very meager lives. Most of the ones I know have no electricity, phone, car, or any of the other worldly goods we take for granted. They live simple, religious lives, living off their farms, lumber, mills, craft shops and small wood working shops. They are very good and hard working people. I'd find it very hard to find fault with them if they had to go out and "poach" a deer to feed there family during a rough winter. They still live in the days of the American pioneer. If you haven't visited an Amish community do so. It is amazing to see that people still live that way. Often walking around with no shoes, working very hard to make a living so they can pay the property taxes on there property. They don't take welfare from the state and they don't believe in it. They do take care of the community though the church, friends and family.

If you think the Amish are poor you need to live beside a few of them for about a year.
Food almost every dinner has almost as much as you do for thanksgiving
dinner.
They are very proud people that live by what they believe in.
BUT and I mean BUT most any of the Amish family's that I have known personally(spent 5 years in Lancaster co PA.the heart of Amish country working on a non Amish farm but we all helped each other)
could buy & sell you and your house & what ever else you have and still have money left to buy the neighbor out.
AND if they run short the go to the CHURCH and borrow just like you do from the bank.

I know this is off topic.