HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "HELP" need to identify an old single shot shotgun
Old 03-03-2005, 02:17 AM
HighDesertWolf
Nontypical Buck

Default "HELP" need to identify an old single shot shotgun

i have an old single shot shotgun i got from my grandmother after my grandfather past away, i was told it was made by crescent but im not sure. The only markings on it are "Ranger" engraved on the left side of the reciever and a 4 digit serial on the inside of the reciever where the reciever cradles the barrel chamber and on the barrel the only markings it has is "12 ga Proof" and "model 1929" I was told the shotgun was more then likely one of the many single shot utility shotguns made during the depression and that the reason for not having a brand or trade mark on it was because somany were made by many different companies for the sole purpose of offering an affordable firearm to maybe put a rabbit or squirrel on the dinner table of starving america during the great depression. The shotgun is in good condition with not one touch of rust the only flaw is the rear stalk is chipped on the inside corners which meet with the reciever, its a great shooter and being my first shotgun Ive taken many quail and a few turkey with it. If anyone can help me identify this piece let me know either on this thread or PM me.