HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

We have the same problem in NC...We own 3 farms...Its legal to hunt deer with dogs...These "hunters" drive around in pickups, with CB radios...drop the dogs off on the road beside our farms...and then go to the other side...If you aren't there they will drop off a couple of hunters to sneak on your land...The dogs have tracking collars...10-12 trucks full of hunters....best not shoot their dog on my farm...because its a felony in NC...Call the warden...he gets there after they have already gone...can't catch because they warn each other with their radios....Go complain to president of hunting club...they all blame another hunting club....We have owned these farms for over 30 years thats how long we have had problems with....we can't be there all the time...they know this...I'm at my wits end as to how to stop these guys....We have never had these guys approach us about hunting our land....maybe asking us to hunt with them...They just road hunt...or run dogs to land they have permission to hunt....I would love to have dog hunting banned totally....But these guys would then start tresspassing/poaching...so don't really know which would be worse....living in the country, you don't really want to make these guys too mad....Your timber might accidently catch fire...

There is nothing worse than getting ready to hunt in the afternoon, and getting in your stand....and hearing them drop off the dogs...it ruins still hunting for several days....

About 3 years ago my nephew had cancer...my brother had to go to the hospital for a few days, as my nephew was getting therapy....Those B@stards hunted his land every day...they had heard that he would be in the hospital with his son....There is nothing lower than that...

We have had them drive around gates, through crops, tear up farm paths with there 4wds...etc...They have no respect for anothers property...

I've never shot a dog in my life...and knowing its a felony...and would be hard to get by with, with the tracking collars, don't think it would be worth it....I have shot several deer...that their dogs were chasing....and got the word out at the local country store that they sure did push a nice buck by me that I killed...(not)....Now that we have coyotes in NC...I'm thinking it might be time to learn how is the best way to set traps or poison.....
Sure hope these good old boys deer dogs don't get into...................