HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some of you "Pros" give me your advice on rattling
Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
PositiveBo

Default RE: Some of you "Pros" give me your advice on rattling

I liken rattlin' to calling gobblers but it doesn't enjoy the same frequency of successful results. I claim they're similar in the respect that much of the results are reliant on so very many factors...location, approach, set-up, quarry demeanor, stage of breeding, weather, opposite sex behavior, other males who have staked territory, etc..

Additionally, wind tends to play a role in buck approach while it's a non-factor where gobblers are concerned (providing he can hear the calling).

I happen to be a fabulous turkey caller with decades of experience to boot, I have graduated to calling/guiding for friends for the past many years. But the fact of the matter is, one can sound like a world champion caller but if the conditions/stage of breeding/weather/barometric pressure/gobbler demeanor/density of game/etc aren't favorable...the results will be affected and at times, one's calling/hunting talents are not going to produce results. I switch to semi-ambush mode at times like this with decoys. Additionally, when the conditions/circumstances are ideal, one can sound like a wounded goose and a gobbler can come straight in on the run haha.

The hunter's who enjoy decent results with rattlin' tend to be employing the tactic where/when conditions are favorable and set-up intelligently in my opinion...and keep an eye on the downwind side or place a partner well downwind. Do it enough and over the years it will likely pay periodic dividends.