HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Camp
Thread: Deer Camp
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Rustyaxecamp

Default RE: Deer Camp

I am part of an old school deer camp your talking about. It is mainly all family. Currently we lease a large piece of property in the U.P. of Michigan, but historically we have had camp on federal land, state land, and other private land. We set up and tear down camp each year. We are currently using a 16x32 army tent as camp, but have historically used a portable wood cabin (my uncle's design), other army and smaller tents. We have had as many members as 18 and as few as 3 from year to year. We heat the tent with a wood stove, have an outhouse, buck pole and all the other great things you imagine about a "deer camp." My mind actually drifted there this morning as I tried to work...only nine more months.......

Our duration depend on how the season falls during hte week, but averages a week or so. We do everything in camp, we only leave to get needed supplies, and that doesn't usually occur until the fourth day or so. We all basically do our own thing (hunt our own specific stands) for the first three or four days, then depending on success, we get creative (drives, switch stands, explore/hunt).

I am sad to say I feel anyone who never took part in an actual deer camp has missed one of the biggest joys in a hunters life. It is a great occasion to visit with friends and family, tell storys, relive past years, and RELAX.

I had the luck to hunt with many family members who are no longer around including my grandfather and great-uncles. It was pretty cool to see the difference in the past generations hunting style and the current style. Makes me wonder what they would done if they had Gore-Tex, Thinsulate, Ultra Mags, and all that back in the 1930s and 40s..... They shot a ton of huge bucks back then using what seems now to be pretty primative equipment.

The only downside is that many deer camps are more beer camps than deer camps. I love to have a drink as much..well probably more than the next guy, but deer camp (at least ours) is no place for that. I can't remember anyone ever getting drunk at camp.

Sorry for the long post, I could go on and on.... God I love deer hunting and being at deer camp.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp