HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which scope for my rifle?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Virginia7

Default RE: Which scope for my rifle?

Aaron,

$100 for the Nikon is obviously a good price. I'd go for it.
Now, the Leupold VX-I, 3-9x40 is also a good scope, as are most any of the Leupold scopes. Currently, all my scopes are Leupold, and I got no complaints. But, the only gun I have a 3-9x on is my 22magnum which I use on crows & squirrels. It's a Leupold
compact. But, between the Nikon vs. the Leupold VX-I, I'd go for the Nikon.

When I lived in Wyoming I routinely used my 2-7x on my big game rifles. It had/has plenty of magnification for deer size game. I have it on my current 270Win. rifle.
I live in SW Virginia now, and hunt deer. I've also hunted other places, including N.J.,
MO., and PA., among others. I've never found my 2-7x wanting in any way.
All that said however, if you feel you would be more comfortable with a 3-9x, then go for it. A 40mm objective should be fine.
I don't see any point in scopes like the 4-12x, and 50mm on big game rifles. If someone is using it on a combo. rifle (big game & varmints), then maybe it makes sense, but don't overdo the magnification. The more magnification you get, the lesser the field of view - and the harder it seems to hold steady on your target.
Heck, my other big game rifles have 1-4x, and 1.75-5x scopes on them. Plenty of power for deer, etc. Big game is big targets. Too much scope is never good, especially for close in shots - all you see of the deer is hair. The real value of a scope is not the
magnification, but the single focal plane for sighting.
As for gloss vs. matte, I'd go with the matte finish if I could. Gloss is sort of like a polished blued finish on a rifle. It can be a little reflective under the right conditions, and
that (reflectivity) is never a good thing. The matte finish is just that - matte. Maybe think in terms of gloss latex paint vs. flat (?). You really should take a look at a few scopes at a shop to check out the differences.
My scopes have Duplex reticles. The wide duplex is okay I guess, but I like the standard
duplex reticle. Again, take a look at a few at a shop if they have 'em available with the
different reticles, and pick what you think would suit you best. Take your time - deer season don't come around again till next fall.

Try visiting Leupolds website. You'll find some good info. there, and you can check out the specs. for actual magnifications of the various scopes, along with eye relief figures, length, weight, etc.

BTW, if you need rings/bases for your rifle, I'd recommend the Leupold there too. The
torx head screws work a lot better for the rings compared to the std. slotted head screws.

Leupold link: http://www.leupold.com/main.htm

ps: Another good series of scopes is the Weaver. Here's a link for them: http://www.weaveroptics.com/