HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which scope for my rifle?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 PM
newguy23
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which scope for my rifle?

ORIGINAL: aaronkash

I guess as of right now, I'm leaning towards the Leupold 3-9x40 VX-I. It appears to be a pretty good scope, and around my price range (I would like to keep my speding to below $250.00). Would this suffice as a good, solid all-around scope? Is 3-9x50 VX-I overkill for my rifle and purposes? or is a 4-12x40 or 50 too much? Also, what is the difference in "gloss" and "matte"? And, is "wide duplex" the best way to go? I really appreciate all of the responses and help.

Don't waste your money on a VX-I, they are of inferior optic quality... They do not have fully multicoated lenses nor do they have click 1/4 adjustments. To add onto all that they have a poor field of view at 100 yards and are made of three piece tubes (most companies beleive that 1 piece tubes are more durable)... You are just paying for the Leupold name.

Others to consider are the Sightron SII 3x9x42 or the Simmons AETEC 2.8-10x44... There are a bunch more but that would be a good starting point. If you are sold on getting a Leupold save up and at a minimum get a VX-II... Don't get the rifleman or VX-1, they are just inferior scopes.