HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Interesting stories of "almost had him"
Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
m.t.hands
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting stories of "almost had him"

hunted several years ago with my uncle and 2 cousins, well we drew for stands, as luck would have it i drew the best possible stand, as far as the amount of sign goes anyway. getting into and out of this stand was like climbing a shear face bluff but it was up in a tree 40ft (20ft by todays standards) and you had to lean out and back to climb this stupid thing, and the spikes we climbed were of all things cotton picker spindles, very brittle and for sure when its cold. well anyway i drew the stand everybody wanted killed a nice 18" 8pt. well sunday morning rolls around and were deciding stands again and nobody wants to go to the "penthouse" because i had already killed "the buck" that was using the area. so i say what the heck i've killed one opening day i just go burn a day in the penthouse again, well get up in the stupid dang dangerous stand sweating like crazy in 25deg weather and get all settled in, about 7:15 here comes a single deer, it's a buck, its a good buck, a 10pt w20" spread, he is angling off to my left at 70 yards, gives me a perfect broadside shot, click off the saftey, squeeeeeeze the trigger and all me and that nice buck hear is a metallic snap, so i chamber the next round and mr. big is continuing with his bizness right into a thicket, i didn't tell anybody about this till the end of the season, then everybody's like, yea right, sure you did. but that deer and that story have stuck with me hard[:@]

oh well live and learn