HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - can deer smell u inside building(stand)/ how far away?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:04 PM
rost495

Default RE: can deer smell u inside building(stand)/ how far away?

I would assume that thermals affect the scent from the tree stands. Go in the morning and your scent will hit the ground eventually. Depending on where deer come from etc.... they may or may not scent it. I know that I've been on the ground and scented at a bit over 200 yards so their noses are good. Then as it warms the thermals move up. And as the morning goes along I've been scented very few times. I think it takes it up and away a long ways. Maybe to never touch down.

On the other hand in the afternoon as the day cools the thermals fall and drag your scent with them. I've been scented more than once in the evening if they come the wrong way for some reason.

I try to always hunt considering the wind and IMHO if you don't, it can be a major waste of time. And educate the deer. Just because a few young bucks or does will tolerate a bit of scent, you may never see the old deer. And if he OR she scents you, well they may just avoid the area during daylight hours the rest of the season.

Best, Jeff