HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - where can i find 110gn 308 ammo?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: where can i find 110gn 308 ammo?

Most the time, reloading is the most cost effective way to get ahold of "specialty ammo" of this type. Other than the places listed above, you can also have Hornady custom load some 110grn bullets for you.

From what I've seen, 130grn .308win loads do better than 110grn loads. Typically, you've got to limit the velocity of your 100 and 110grn loads in order to keep your bullets from "overspinning" and falling apart, or at least in order to keep them stable in flight. I've loaded 100 and 110grn loads in .308 and .30-06 a few times, the 130grn and 125 grn loads I've loaded have been much more accurate.

Truth be told, I'd keep using the same, less expensive 150grn loads that you're using. If you're using a soft point, you're doing less pelt damage than the lighter bullets are going to give you, and probably have your optimum accuracy range already knocked out (.308 typically is most accurate between 130 and 180grns in factory rifles). You're likely as good off as you're going to get with that rifle.

I feel that way because if you really do hunt coyotes a lot, the extra $5-15 per box of ammo that you'll spend for the specialty loads is going to add up fast. Before I reloaded, I used to use my .30-06 with custom loaded 100grn varmint rounds from Hornady, then I ran the numbers, it'd only take me two seasons of hunting to warrant buying a Savage heavy bbl varmint rifle in .22-250, so I went that way. I'd have saved even more money by getting a .223 instead, but I've always favored the .22-250.