HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 125 Grain 30/06 load well suited to deer?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:52 AM
HighDesertWolf
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 125 Grain 30/06 load well suited to deer?

A friend of mines grandfather loads the sierra 125 grain spt pro-hunter in his 30-06 he loads them on the lighter side around 2700 fps. His reason is he suffered from a shoulder injury and cant handle alot of recoil. his loads compared to my sierra 165 grain BTHP game king loads in my 308 win I really cant see any difference in deer killing performance or that his lighter bullet tears up more meat meat then my 308 load. My preference is heavier bullets based on some of my own theories and preferences for rifles. But I am having a hard time understanding why you guys dont think a 125 grain bullet is suitable for deer. What about 130 grain soft points in a 270 they arent much different and tons of deer have been killed with a 130 grain in a 270.
I know generally lighter bullets are for varmints but a 125 grain bullet with the right design should be fine for deer. Now if the packaged is labelled as a varmint bullet then I wouldnt use it on deer because its designed to frag on impact.