HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Satellite titan 125 grn tests results, not good!
Old 05-31-2002, 07:29 PM
5 shot
Nontypical Buck

Default Satellite titan 125 grn tests results, not good!

Satellite titan 4 blade 125 grain:

Plywood: 3 points
Steel drum: 1 point
Tire: 2 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Accuracy: 2 points
Non-mechanical head: 2 points
Blades: 4 points
Total score: 17, blade sharpness rating of B-

This head is typical of what I have come to expect from Satellite Broadheads.
Of the three heads I had, two had loose main blades and rattled when I spin tested the arrows. I know I had the heads put together properly as the third one was fine. I did everything I could think of to tighten up the blades, but the tolerances were just to loose. I can’t understand how any company could let heads like that slip past quality control. Under normal circumstances I would think it more of a one time thing, but with every Satellite head I have tested, there has been quality issues!
In the tire the head stuck in up to the back of the blades and did not penetrate fully. In the steel drum it went through one side, with the tip making a small hole in the back wall, then bounced back out. I lost one blade, and the tip broke off flat( about 1/8” or so). In the plywood it buried up halfway, the tip sticking out one side, and the rear of the blades on the front side. The cutting diameter is 1 1/8” which is not what I call large, but when you combine it with the full size “bleeder” blades, it does make for a fairly large head. This is the reason the penetration was not as good as many other heads in this class. About the only other head I tested that had this much cutting surface would be the Magnus snuffers, but they are a 3 blade head and penetrated much better overall. I could live with the lack of penetration in exchange for all the cutting surface, but not at the cost of strength or loss of accuracy. I found groups with these broadeads to be about twice the size of my Muzzy 125’s, or any other head for that matter. I would not call them “unstable”, but they are not the most accurate head I have tried by a long shot! Overall I would rank these among the worst broadheads I have tested. I say save your money and buy one of the many other quality cut on contact heads that I have tested.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS