HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:45 PM
PAhunter86
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie with a slurry of questions.. who's got an hour or so?

I'm looking to buy a 12 gauge shotgun, and the one that everyone I've spoken to recommends is the Remington 870 because it can handle a 3 1/2" load or shell and I can have it with a "full-choke".. sorry.. I don't know the jargan yet. How important is having a shotgun that is camo painted? Or does a regular shotgun work alright?
For turkey hunting you'll want at least a full choke. THe choke basically controls the pattern of the shot. A full choke (or higher) gives you a really tight pattern and is ideal for turkeys. 12 Gauge is probably the best gauge for turkeys, you'll have the most options with it and it has plenty of power. From what I know, the 870 is good, but there are other guns in that price range that handle 3.5" loads, the Mossberg 835 is also a good 3.5" gun. However, 3" loads will also work. Guns that shoot 3.5" will also shoot 3" shells.

Camo guns help, but as long as the gun isn't glossy, you'll be fine.

Secondly, I need gear, camo right? Pants, gloves, vest, jacket, hat? What would be ideal for a starter? What is necessary?
Turkeys have amazing eye sight, you'll want to be in head-to-toe camo, literally.
Hat, face mask, gloves, pants, vest (to carry all the gear), pants, boots. Get as much camo as possible pretty much. Most states require some blaze orange while turkey hunting, so look into that as well.

I'm not sure where to turkey hunt out in Nevada, but I'm sure there are people on this message board that could help you a lot.
Hope I helped.

PS Buy some turkey calls now and practice with them. It helps