HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 06:47 PM
JoshKeller
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: West Virginia Deer Hunting Hurting!

Personally, if it was me (and its not, and I still dont see it changing in the near future), I would keep the bow tags the same. (3 deer, 2 can be bucks.) 1 Buck tag for rifle. 1 doe tag for doe season. And 1 muzzleloader tag (either sex). If the buck tag is unfilled during rifle, it can be filled in muzzleloader as well. I think by reducing the doe harvest, yet allowing any buck to be harvested would be a better solution. I would much rather see a 1.5 year old spike shot and used to feed a family, than to see one shot under AR's and left to rot because the "hunter" doesnt want to get a fine. I'm really growing on your methods, and you'd be welcome in my hunting camp anytime.

But rather than spend the money on changing the tag system, I would much rather see CO's (conservation officers) patroling at night, busting some of these aweful poachers! Its not unusual to hear 20 shots a night, and walk around (on private property, mind you) and see 5 or 6 dead deer. Yet the DNR just doesnt care. Wildlife is the ULTIMATE renewable resource, but overuse will result in none to use.