HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Chairman

Default RE: Handicap Hunters?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Should handicap hunters who pay the same fees as non-handicap hunters be provided special hunting opportunities to give them a chance to harvest a trophy? At the present time there are very few states that have fish and game programs to help handicap hunters. New Mexico is the only state that I am aware of that has a special early big game season for certified disabled hunters.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Missouri provides many hunting opportunities for the disabled. My favorite is the managed deer hunts for the disabled, where we are allowed 2-3 deer (depends on the area) - that won't be counted towards our regular season limit. The goal of the program is to thin the herd, so it's a win/win situation. These hunts are held in some prime hunting areas, usually a week before the official opening date - which provides ample opportunity to harvest a trophy. Personally, I try to at least take a doe, so the program will meet it's goal.

The program provides volunteer guides & trackers, accessible ground blinds & more. They even serve breakfast & lunch! It doesn't get much better than that.... This program is responsible for introducing me to hunting in the first place!

I live near Truman Lake & Reservoir, where the Missouri Dept. of Conservation & Army Corp of Engineers are constantly improving access to quality fishing - re: accessible fishing piers & docks.